Posted to docs@cocoon.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2003/04/04 11:33:42 UTC

Re: xdocs vs. wiki docs (was: ...scrap the existing docs and start over?)

Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Diana Shannon a écrit :
>
> <lots-of-cool-stuff-snipped/>
>
> > ...- separate out all docs relating to project administration,
> > licensing, etc. Keep a single instance of these somewhere. Maintain
> > these in xdocs. Refine/edit/refactor as approach
>
> Let me reformulate to make sure we're in sync:
> Keep the xdocs to the bare minimum: project info, sitemap and
> components reference, that's it?

Core conceptual documentation would also belong in this group.

> All the rest (tutorial, examples, how-tos) is found on the "other doc
> system" mentioned below.
>
> > - Refactor our reference docs to be produced by some kind of
> > auto-generation mechanism...
>
> ok - I think we had a nice concept here.
> (and the Chaperon parser could certainly help a lot for this but let's
> not talk about tools ;-)
>
> > - Leave all the rest -- How-Tos, FAQs, Tutorials, Concepts -- to a
> > more open content system (via wiki/PHP-notes-like/simple CMS, > etc.)....

These docs can then directly reference the well-controlled
core documentation, thus not needing to explain basic
concepts over and over.

--David

Re: xdocs vs. wiki docs (was: ...scrap the existing docs and start over?)

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 04:33  AM, David Crossley wrote:

>> ok - I think we had a nice concept here.
>> (and the Chaperon parser could certainly help a lot for this but let's
>> not talk about tools ;-)
>>
>>> - Leave all the rest -- How-Tos, FAQs, Tutorials, Concepts -- to a
>>> more open content system (via wiki/PHP-notes-like/simple CMS, >
>>> etc.)....
>
> These docs can then directly reference the well-controlled
> core documentation, thus not needing to explain basic
> concepts over and over.

We could also have them on wiki, on non-editable pages.

Diana