Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Tim Brennan <ti...@liquidsys.com> on 2004/07/20 21:29:56 UTC

Lucene vs. MySQL Full-Text

Someone came into my office today and asked me about the project I am
trying to Lucene for -- "why aren't you just using a MySQL full-text
index to do that" -- after thinking about it for a few minutes, I
realized I don't have a great answer.

MySQL builds inverted indexes for (in theory) doing the same type of
lookup that lucene does.  You'd maybe have to build some kind of a layer
on the front to mimic Lucene's analyzers, but that wouldn't be too
hard....

My only experience with MySQLfulltext is trivial test apps -- but the
MySQL world does have some significant advantages (its a known quantity
from an operations perspective, etc).....  Does anyone out there have
anything more concrete they can add?

--tim

Re: Lucene vs. MySQL Full-Text

Posted by Daniel Naber <da...@t-online.de>.
On Tuesday 20 July 2004 21:29, Tim Brennan wrote:

>  Does anyone out there have
> anything more concrete they can add?

Stemming is still on the MySQL TODO list:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Fulltext_TODO.html

Also, for most people it's easier to extend Lucene than MySQL (as MySQL is
written in C(++?)) and there are more powerful queries in Lucene, e.g.
fuzzy phrase search.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: Lucene vs. MySQL Full-Text

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Interestingly (and ironically) enough, the project I'm currently
working on requires full-text searching of Word and PDF resumes.  SQL
Server is already the required database as well, so we are leveraging
the full-text indexing capabilities it has.  There is a special trick
to drop a BLOB into a table which also has a file extension and mime
type columns, and have SQL Server index it with its Index Server
capabilities.  Lucene was not needed, and we made the pragmatic
(simplest that worked well) choice.

My recommendation would be to implement something rather than debate it
- and if it is good enough, leave it alone, if not then try a different
approach :)

	Erik

RE: Lucene vs. MySQL Full-Text

Re: Lucene vs. MySQL Full-Text