Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mike Burr <me...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/20 01:28:16 UTC

Rolling back (and leaving out recent additions)

My apologies if this if this situation is addressed somewhere obvious.
I've read the FAQs and most of the "Version Control with Subversion".
Here's my situation, I have:

Revision 1
file

Revision 2
file
file2

I would like to roll back to rev 1, make some changes (like add a
file3) and have:

Revision 3
file
file3

But what I find is that if I check out a new copy of 3, I have:

Revision 3
file
file2
file3

In other words, file2 sticks around, even though what I committed
(after a fresh checkout of rev 1) was only file and file3.

Is there some other way of accomplishing this, or am I overlooking something?

Re: Rolling back (and leaving out recent additions)

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> > Simply deleting the file from the working copy will not work--you must
> > tell Subversion to remove it with 'svn rm'.
>
> I anticipate there being more complex changes, where the user may not
> necessarily know what needs to be deleted, moved, etc. Sorry, I should
> have made that clear. I know about 'rm'.
>
> What if a user makes many complex changes and wants to scrap them all,
> and make the HEAD version look like an older revision with just a few
> simple changes. Or for that matter, just make the HEAD revision look
> exactly like an older revision.
>
> Is this possible?

Yes. This section in the book
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch04s04.html#svn-ch-4-sect-4.2 should
help.

bye,

Erik.

--
"Happy ProMail" bis 24. M�rz: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/promail
Zum 6. Geburtstag gibt's GMX ProMail jetzt 66 Tage kostenlos!

Re: Rolling back (and leaving out recent additions)

Posted by Mike Burr <me...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:31:36 -0600, Ben Collins-Sussman
<su...@collab.net> wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2005, at 8:16 PM, Mike Burr wrote:
>
> >> Simply deleting the file from the working copy will not work--you must
> >> tell Subversion to remove it with 'svn rm'.
> >
> > I anticipate there being more complex changes, where the user may not
> > necessarily know what needs to be deleted, moved, etc. Sorry, I should
> > have made that clear. I know about 'rm'.
> >
> > What if a user makes many complex changes and wants to scrap them all,
> > and make the HEAD version look like an older revision with just a few
> > simple changes. Or for that matter, just make the HEAD revision look
> > exactly like an older revision.
> >
> > Is this possible?
> >

> Yes, read about 'undoing changes' in chapter 4.  There's a whole
> section of chapter 4 with that title.

Of course that worked like a charm. Notice that I said that I read
"most of" the svn book. Never in-order ..never!

Thanks.

Re: Rolling back (and leaving out recent additions)

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Mike Burr <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Mohr <mo...@gmail.com>.