Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@thomersonfamily.com> on 2010/09/24 05:55:33 UTC

git cloning of repos is behind

Hello group,

  Sorry if this has already been answered - I just joined this group seconds
ago.  The git clones appear to be days behind the svn clones.  I'd like to
be able to track the git clones, and am willing to help with the
infrastructure of such in whatever way that I can.  However, I'm a new
member, and don't know a lot about where stuff is located / done on our
infrastructure.  If you have any tips for how I can help get this fixed, can
you please point me towards the right resources?

Thanks!
Jeremy Thomerson
(typically on the Apache Wicket project, just joining this other stuff)

Re: git cloning of repos is behind

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.
On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 3:03 AM, Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 11:33:33AM +0200, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org> wrote:
>> > This seems like an ongoing problem, it repeats every few months.
>>
>> Yep, http://support.github.com/search?q=git.apache.org is a good
>> record of the issues.
>>
>> > Can we just ask github to 'takeover' the apache account, and have our
>> > own scripts do the sync/push to github?
>>
>> I've suggested it a few times when discussing with Github, but they
>> seem to prefer their own pull scripts.
>>
>> We might want to bring this up again with Github. Anyone interested in
>> leading the conversation?
>
> Jukka,  can we leave that until after Apachecon?  I am trying to arrange a meet up, in Atlanta to discuss git.

I'm not sure the github sync has anything to do with anything we will
talk about in Atlanta?

Re: git cloning of repos is behind

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.

--
Cheers,
Tony

VACATION:
	A two-week binge of rest and relaxation so intense that
	it takes another 50 weeks of your restrained workaday
	life-style to recuperate.

---------------------------------------
Tony Stevenson

tony@pc-tony.com  //  pctony@apache.org
tony@caret.cam.ac.uk

http://blog.pc-tony.com

GPG - 1024D/51047D66
--------------------------------------

Re: git cloning of repos is behind

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Jeremy Thomerson
<je...@thomersonfamily.com> wrote:
> Yes, please set me up an account and I will help with our mirror
> maintenance.

Sorry for the silence. I've now set you up with the account on
git.apache.org. I'll send the details separately.

> I would also be willing to try to lead an effort to allow us to push to
> them. It seems we could easily do so with either svnpubsub or something
> similar that watches our git repo. I'll take a look at our scripts to see
> what we already have running so that I'm familiar with it.

We currently use an email script [1] that parses commit notification
messages and fires the git-svn updates for all modified codebases.
This commit notification setup works but it's a bit of a hack, so it
would be great if we could replace with something like svnpubsub.

Anyway, regardless of the svn change notification mechanism, the
current mirror update script [1] could easily be modified to
automatically push all changes to a remote repository.

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/git/bin/email-update.pl
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/git/bin/update-mirror.sh

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: git cloning of repos is behind

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@thomersonfamily.com>.
Yes, please set me up an account and I will help with our mirror
maintenance.

I would also be willing to try to lead an effort to allow us to push to
them. It seems we could easily do so with either svnpubsub or something
similar that watches our git repo. I'll take a look at our scripts to see
what we already have running so that I'm familiar with it.

Thanks!

Jeremy Thomerson
-- sent from my "smart" phone, so please excuse spelling, formatting, or
compiler errors

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.
On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Jeremy Thomerson
> <je...@thomersonfamily.com> wrote:
>> Sorry if this has already been answered - I just joined this group seconds
>> ago.  The git clones appear to be days behind the svn clones.
>
> The clones on git.apache.org are very much up to date, but it looks
> like the ones on github aren't. The best way to fix that is to file an
> issue at http://support.github.com/.

This seems like an ongoing problem, it repeats every few months.

Can we just ask github to 'takeover' the apache account, and have our
own scripts do the sync/push to github?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: git cloning of repos is behind

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Jeremy Thomerson
<je...@thomersonfamily.com> wrote:
> Sorry if this has already been answered - I just joined this group seconds
> ago.  The git clones appear to be days behind the svn clones.

The clones on git.apache.org are very much up to date, but it looks
like the ones on github aren't. The best way to fix that is to file an
issue at http://support.github.com/.

> I'd like to be able to track the git clones, and am willing to help with the
> infrastructure of such in whatever way that I can.  However, I'm a new
> member, and don't know a lot about where stuff is located / done on our
> infrastructure.  If you have any tips for how I can help get this fixed, can
> you please point me towards the right resources?

The first step here is to contact Github support.

If you're also interested in helping out with git.apache.org
maintenance, I'd be happy to set you up with an account and get you
started. The relevant scripts are in