Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Gavin Enns <ga...@hotmail.com> on 2002/07/12 16:52:12 UTC

GUIDs (Not a JAMES specific question, but the answer might be)

I am currently researching options for a mail system for my company. The
tricky part is that I must find a way to archive messages (permanently) in
such a way that all of the messages are easily accessible from an existing
in-house database. I think that I may have found a solution to this problem,
but I need to figure out what to use as the key for each message in the
database. The obvious choice would be the GUID of a message. What I need to
know is if each message is automatically assigned a GUID and if so, where,
when, how, and how can I access it? If if anyone have any suggestions on
this topic I would greatly appreciate it.

Great Gobs of Thanks,
     Gavin Enns
     Communications Programmer
     Ronneberger Computing Inc.