Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Alexander Reshetov <al...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/22 19:30:45 UTC

Calcite development under Eclipse

Hello,

I tried to import Calcite project into Eclipse and faced some issues.

In newly created workspace I select File - Import - Maven - Existing
Maven Projects
Point "Root Directory" to git cloned dir. Press "Finish".

After this steps I got erros:

  - fmpp-maven-plugin:1.0:generate (1 errors)
fmpp-maven-plugin:1.0:generate in Eclipse.  Please see Help for more
information.
    \- Execution generate-fmpp-sources, in /calcite-core/pom.xml
generate-fmpp-sources, in /calcite-core/pom.xml in Eclipse.  Please
see Help for more information.
  - javacc-maven-plugin:2.4:javacc (2 errors)
javacc-maven-plugin:2.4:javacc in Eclipse.  Please see Help for more
information.
    \- Execution javacc, in /calcite-core/pom.xml
javacc, in /calcite-core/pom.xml in Eclipse.  Please see Help for more
information.
    \- Execution javacc, in /calcite-piglet/pom.xml
javacc, in /calcite-piglet/pom.xml in Eclipse.  Please see Help for
more information.

After some googling it pointed out that while Eclipse uses incremental
compilation,
his m2eclipse plugin should have information from maven plugins about
lifecycle management.

See [1] for more details regarding this behaviour.

I also found similar issue (already closed) in Apache Drill. See Jira
ticket [2] and pull request
for it [3].

I modified pom.xml in calcite-core and calcite-piglet modules, which
caused this issue and
it was fixed for me. See git diffs [4] and [5].

There is also errors from checkstyle checks, but probably it's just my
setup. Didn't investigate yet.

  [1] - http://www.eclipse.org/m2e/documentation/m2e-execution-not-covered.html
  [2] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-445
  [3] - https://github.com/apache/drill/commit/1e25c0d287b8ca55d7ae3242b638659c68d115da
  [4] - http://pastebin.com/VsV4RcG2
  [5] - http://pastebin.com/Dhf9VJrS

Re: Calcite development under Eclipse

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Can one or two Eclipse users please review the instructions that Alexander has put into https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-994? You don’t need to be a committer. (I don’t use Eclipse so I’m no use.)

Hopefully we can agree on a section to http://calcite.apache.org/docs/howto.html.

Julian

Posted by Alexander Reshetov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.