Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Peter Kriens <Pe...@aQute.se> on 2005/11/18 16:47:24 UTC

servlet.jar

Enrique,
The OSGi Http Service is based on the servlet 2.1 specification. This
servlet.jar file is available on SUN, but has some very weird
licensing around it.

I am in need of a servlet.jar (2.1) under a 2.0 Apache license with
the correct OSGi headers in it. Could the felix project supply this?
If necessary, I could deliver the source code for it based on the
tomcat Apache servlet.

Or did you already solve this in another way?

Kind regards,

     Peter Kriens

Re: servlet.jar

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Ralph Goers wrote:

> BJ Hargrave wrote:
>
>> You really need to use servlet 2.1 API for OSGi HttpService.
>
> I would suspect that that is because most apache projects don't
> support 2.1 anymore.  Is that a requirement for Felix?

Like BJ said, it's necessary if you want to be compliant with the OSGi
HttpService, which requires the 2.1 servlet API. So as part of the
effort to implement this aspect of the R4 spec, it is a requirement.

That does not mean that the only way to "wrap" a HTTP server is by
implementing OSGi HttpService. In the past we have had instances of
Jetty implement different services for our applications. One example was
a service that allowed you to deploy "WAR files" so we could easily
deploy more complex web applications.

Re: servlet.jar

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: servlet.jar

Posted by BJ Hargrave <ha...@us.ibm.com>.
You really need to use servlet 2.1 API for OSGi HttpService. Servlets
implement the Servlet interface and the HttpService interface must
implement the ServletRequest and ServletResponse interface. These
interfaces have "grown" since 2.1 and HttpService implements are built to
a specific  servlet API version. If you try and run an HttpService impl
built to servlet 2.1 with a servlet 2.2 or 2.3 jar file, you will get
verifier errors since the implementation of the ServletRequest and
ServletResponse interfaces do not implement all of the declared methods.

Apache only seems to have 2.2 and 2.3 servlet API jars available. Thus the
need for a servlet 2.1 jar.

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM
hargrave@us.ibm.com
Office: +1 407 849 9117 Mobile: +1 386 848 3788

Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>
Please respond to
felix-dev

felix-dev@incubator.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: servlet.jar

Enrique Rodriguez wrote:

> Peter Kriens wrote:
>
>> Enrique,
>> The OSGi Http Service is based on the servlet 2.1 specification. This
>> servlet.jar file is available on SUN, but has some very weird
>> licensing around it.
>>
>> I am in need of a servlet.jar (2.1) under a 2.0 Apache license with
>> the correct OSGi headers in it. Could the felix project supply this?
>> If necessary, I could deliver the source code for it based on the
>> tomcat Apache servlet.
>>
>> Or did you already solve this in another way?
>

> I'm using the setup from OBR, via Felix:
>
> -> install http://oscar-osgi.sf.net/repo/servlet/servlet.jar
> -> install http://oscar-osgi.sf.net/repo/http/http.jar
>
> The servlet version says it's 2.3 but it's working fine with
> HttpService 1.1 and 1.2.  Does that work for you or did I
> misunderstand your question?

Btw you guys can use the servlet API jars from tomcat I think as deps.
Here's where they are on ibiblio.org:

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/tomcat/jars/servlet-api-5.0.16.jar

Cheers,
Alex