Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Beem Rickey L (Rick) CNIN" <be...@crane.navy.mil> on 2001/11/06 22:56:49 UTC

RE: Tomcat 4.0.1 instal fails on w2k with jdk 1.4 beta 3 installe d

You may have to add a String value of "1.4" called CurrentVersion under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit.  I had to do the
same thing for the "Java Runtime Environment" key.

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Carl Boudreau wrote:

> I have noticed there are a few questions about running these to app
> together.  Doesn't Tomcat 4.0 run well on it's own?

Apache serves static files a lot faster than Tomcat does. As a result,
using Apache+Tomcat can improve performance - static files will be
served by Apache, dynamic ones will be generated by Tomcat, all within
the same web tree.

You might choose to run Tomcat on it's own if the performance penalty
can be lived with, and you're interested in simple installation instead.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street
						tonight..."

What is the need to run Apache and Tomcat together?

Posted by Carl Boudreau <ca...@notiva.com>.
I have noticed there are a few questions about running these to app
together.  Doesn't Tomcat 4.0 run well on it's own?

Carl

Re: Tomcat 4.0.1 instal fails on w2k with jdk 1.4 beta 3 installed

Posted by Remy Maucherat <rm...@home.com>.
> You may have to add a String value of "1.4" called CurrentVersion under
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit.  I had to do
the
> same thing for the "Java Runtime Environment" key.

I just installed 1.4 b3. Yes, it's broken. The J2SE people change the keys
they're using quite often :-(

Remy