Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de> on 2010/11/06 21:59:33 UTC

What are our mirrors? (was: Bug 6511)

> [...] I can't find any mention of this mirror in the SA documentation or on the
> SA Wiki.  These sorts of things should be more public.  [...]

After stripping all the mixing up between project volunteers and donated
resources on the one hand, and those people's personal life...

I guess that's a valid point.

What are those mirrors? Who runs them? Clearly, it's not SA, neither the
ASF. Yes, it is obvious to me who is behind those servers, as it
probably is to most folks on this list. But it is not that obvious to a
system administrator not closely involved in the project.

FWIW, the first step is transient to the users. It isn't even obvious to
them, that the MIRRORED.BY file is hosted on ASF. All they usually get
to see is the contents, in their local copy. Unless there's an issue,
and the URL pops up in their cron mail.

$ host -t TXT mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org
mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org descriptive text
"http://spamassassin.apache.org/updates/MIRRORED.BY"

$ lynx -source http://spamassassin.apache.org/updates/MIRRORED.BY | grep -v '^#'
http://daryl.dostech.ca/sa-update/asf/ weight=5
http://www.sa-update.pccc.com/ weight=5

Re: What are our mirrors?

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
On 06/11/2010 4:59 PM, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
>> [...] I can't find any mention of this mirror in the SA documentation or on the
>> SA Wiki.  These sorts of things should be more public.  [...]
>
> After stripping all the mixing up between project volunteers and donated
> resources on the one hand, and those people's personal life...
>
> I guess that's a valid point.
>
> What are those mirrors? Who runs them? Clearly, it's not SA, neither the
> ASF. Yes, it is obvious to me who is behind those servers, as it
> probably is to most folks on this list. But it is not that obvious to a
> system administrator not closely involved in the project.

Perhaps info could be added to
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RuleUpdates

Daryl

Re: What are our mirrors?

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
> $ host -t TXT mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org
> mirrors.updates.spamassassin.org descriptive text
> "http://spamassassin.apache.org/updates/MIRRORED.BY"
>
> $ lynx -source http://spamassassin.apache.org/updates/MIRRORED.BY | grep -v '^#'
> http://daryl.dostech.ca/sa-update/asf/ weight=5
> http://www.sa-update.pccc.com/ weight=5

Perhaps switch the DNS to cnames such as mirror1.spamassassin.apache.org
so there is another level of control and veracity?  And if a mirror goes
done, DNS can be used to re-route things instead of just the MIRRORED.BY
file.

regards,
KAM