Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ryan punt <rp...@good-sam.com> on 2006/03/09 15:23:03 UTC

[users@httpd] Perl CGI * 900 second timeout

Let's try this again...

I'm seeing an odd issue on apache2 for Debian Sarge (Server version: Apache/2.0.54, Server built:   Sep  5 2005 11:11:08). I've got a Perl CGI can be counted on to run for as long as an hour. After 15 minutes/900 seconds, the browser stops accepting content from the browser, i.e. in IE the globe stops spinning, or in Firefox the spinner... stops. The CGI continues to run on the webserer, but the user gets no confirmation that their process is completing. This problem is NOT browser-specific; it failes on lynx just the same as it fails on IE or Firefox.

The kicker is that in apache2.conf, I've made the following change:

Timeout 3600

So far as I can tell, this is either being ignored or doesn't act like I think it should. I do know that if I change the value from 3600 to 30, all pages stop running after 30 seconds.

Why would a higher value for Timeout be ignored?

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: [users@httpd] Perl CGI * 900 second timeout

Posted by Dave Floyd <da...@pa.press.net>.
Ryan,
	If modifying apache config doesn't cure the problem, you are
probably hitting a TCP parameter timeout on your operating system.
Try looking at the TCP/IP tuning for your OS.

rgds