Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2004/07/02 06:07:57 UTC

STARTTLS for JavaMail

FYI:

Bill Shannon wrote:
> > Is there any plan to support STARTTLS for the different stores (IMAP,
> > POP3) and transport (SMTP) shipped with Sun's JavaMail  implementation?

> Yes, this will be included in 1.3.2 for IMAP and SMTP.
> I hope to get an Early Access version out next month.

	--- Noel

User attribute support and API changes

Posted by Jason Webb <jw...@inovem.com>.
Some thoughts and notes on implementing the changes required for user
attributes.

I have added a new interface into the mailet API called AttributeSupport.
This interface defines the methods for accessing attributes that is common
to both User and Mail. Therefore User and Mail now implement
AttributeSupport.

The <file> UserRepository is simple, thanks to Avalon et al.
The <db> UserRepository is a bit more complex. I have deliberately followed
the same model as the Mail repository so that when BLOBS are referenced they
are done in isolation, so to get all the attributes I will need to do 2
selects. This is much the same way that Mail works so I'm not inclined to
change it.

-- Jason

Re: STARTTLS for JavaMail

Posted by Soren Hilmer <so...@tietoenator.com>.
Intent and intent, this is a snip from the README:

"This SSL/TLS support in JavaMail works only when JavaMail is used on
a version of J2SE that includes SSL support.  We have tested this
support on J2SE 1.4 and J2SE 1.5, which include SSL support.  The
SSL support is provided by the JSSE package, which is also available
for earlier versions of J2SE.  We have not tested such configurations"

I read this as: if it works with anything but J2SE 1.4/1.5 you are in luck, if
it does not don't blame us ;-)

An yes, this could be a feature that will push our users toward 1.4+.

--Søren

On Tuesday 06 July 2004 06:15, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I am currently testing an early access release of JavaMail 1.3.2,
> > and this versions implementation of STARTTLS, does not work under
> > JDK 1.3.
> >
> > the readme states it has only been tested against JDK 1.4 and 1.5
>
> Is there any intent for it to work with JDK 1.3, or is this providing a
> capability that will tend to push our users to JDK 1.4+?
>
> 	--- Noel

Søren Hilmer, M.Sc.
R&D manager		Phone:	+45 70 27 64 00
TietoEnator IT+ A/S	Fax:	+45 70 27 64 40
Ved Lunden 12		Direct:	+45 87 46 64 57
DK-8230 Åbyhøj		Email:	soren.hilmer <at> tietoenator.com

RE: STARTTLS for JavaMail

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: STARTTLS for JavaMail

Posted by Soren Hilmer <so...@tietoenator.com>.
Hi,

I am currently testing an early access release of JavaMail 1.3.2, and this
versions implementation of STARTTLS, does not work under JDK 1.3. with JSSE
1.0.2.
But this was rather as expected as the readme states it has only been tested
against JDK 1.4 and 1.5, and the SSL implementation has changed considerably
between the standalone JSSE's and the JDK bundled ones.

(Hope I am not violating some non-disclosure here, Bill)

--Søren

Re: STARTTLS for JavaMail

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>>Is there any plan to support STARTTLS for the different stores (IMAP,
>>>POP3) and transport (SMTP) shipped with Sun's JavaMail  implementation?
>
>>Yes, this will be included in 1.3.2 for IMAP and SMTP.
>>I hope to get an Early Access version out next month.

If they can figure out how to initiate TLS with the JDK 1.3 on the
client side, hopefully we can learn from them and do it on the server side.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501
e. sergek@lokitech.com