Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/04 10:15:53 UTC

Re: Issues with HDP 2.4.0.2.1.3.0-563

For hortonworks, I believe it should work to just link against the
corresponding upstream version. I.e. just set the Hadoop version to "2.4.0"

Does that work?

- Patrick

Posted by Ron Gonzalez <zl...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
One key thing I forgot to mention is that I changed the avro version to 1.7.7 to get AVRO-1476.

I took a closer look at the jars, and what I noticed is that the assembly jars that work do not have the org.apache.avro.mapreduce package packaged into the assembly. For spark-1.0.1, org.apache.avro.mapreduce is always found. When creating an assembly from an older download of Spark 1.0.0, this package doesn't exist. In a recent download of Spark 1.0.0, the generated assembly with any HDP version also has org.apache.avro.mapreduce. I recompiled against the new download, and it also has the same problems even with an older version of HDP.

So I think the bottom line issue here is that the generated assemblies that include org.apache.avro.mapreduce seems to cause this issue. If I use the older Spark 1.0.0 version, I am able to create assemblies that work. I noticed that assemblies generated from the newer versions are indeed bigger so it seems a bug was perhaps fixed to ensure that all dependencies are pulled into the final assembly, but is now causing this symptom that I have reported...

Thanks,
Ron

On Monday, August 4, 2014 10:39 AM, Steve Nunez <sn...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

Hmm. Fair enough. I hadn¹t given that answer much thought and on
reflection think you¹re right in that a profile would just be a bad hack.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Issues with HDP 2.4.0.2.1.3.0-563

Posted by Steve Nunez <sn...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Nunez <sn...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Steve Nunez <sn...@hortonworks.com>.
I don’t think there is an hwx profile, but there probably should be.

- Steve

From:  Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>
Date:  Monday, August 4, 2014 at 10:08
To:  Ron's Yahoo! <zl...@yahoo.com>
Cc:  Ron's Yahoo! <zl...@yahoo.com.invalid>, Steve Nunez
<sn...@hortonworks.com>, <us...@spark.apache.org>, "dev@spark.apache.org"
<de...@spark.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: Issues with HDP 2.4.0.2.1.3.0-563

Ah I see, yeah you might need to set hadoop.version and yarn.version. I
thought he profile set this automatically.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Issues with HDP 2.4.0.2.1.3.0-563

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
The profile does set it automatically:
https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/pom.xml#L1086

yarn.version should default to hadoop.version
It shouldn't hurt, and should work, to set to any other specific
version. If one HDP version works and another doesn't, are you sure
the repo has the desired version?

Posted by Steve Nunez <sn...@hortonworks.com>.

From:  Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>
Date:  Monday, August 4, 2014 at 10:08