Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org> on 2002/08/19 14:11:06 UTC

[VOTE] RE: New "module" terminology: WAS: Extending the build system for modules

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Stephan Michels wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >
> > > Blocks and modules are *not* the same.
> > >
> > > Putting it very simple, blocks are a plug-in mechanism for
> > Cocoon and the
> > > modules concept is only a better cvs structure for Cocoon.
> > > So modules is only about organizing things and can be done by simply
> > > restructuring the cvs and change minor parts of the build system. So,
> > > these modules are possible today.
> > >
> > > Blocks in contrast need to be designed and implemented - it's
> > not possible
> > > today and has a different aim.
> > >
> > > However, a module can later implement a block of course.
> > >
> > > Looking at all these threads and mails, it seems to me that
> > more energy is
> > > spend on giving things a name rather than implementing them.
> >
> > That true ;-) But without a name I couldn't start. Perhaps we should
> > vote, which name we should take.
> >
> ok, +1 for module

+1 for 'extension' (short 'ext'). (But 'module' also okay).

RE: [VOTE] RE: New "module" terminology: WAS: Extending the build system for modules

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> > I suggest, that a volunteer starting with implementing it, chooses the
> > name. That's simple, requires no vote and no other activities.
> > So, any volunteers?
>
> I volunteer, since I am doing the build extension for it.

Great!!

> I want to call them "module"s, as with the Apache modules.
Even greater! :)

> Carsten, how shall I proceed? Branch? Dir layout? Tips? Build targets?
I don't think we need a branch - the head is our dev branch.
I would start with the dir layout as discussed and then add write a test
build for one module and see how to integrate it. From that on it's more
or less 'copy/paste'.

> I would be able to commit it in the weekend.

Awesom.

Carsten

Re: [VOTE] RE: New "module" terminology: WAS: Extending the build system for modules

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>Yup, but we're not talking about cvs modules, are we. And we are not
>>talking about org.apache.cocoon.components nor
>>org.apache.cocoon.components.modules but about something that avalon
>>calls "sub-project".
>>

> Ok, and we rename our Request class to something else because it's already
> used somewhere etc ;)
>
> I suggest, that a volunteer starting with implementing it, chooses the
> name. That's simple, requires no vote and no other activities.
> So, any volunteers?

I volunteer, since I am doing the build extension for it.

I want to call them "module"s, as with the Apache modules.

Carsten, how shall I proceed? Branch? Dir layout? Tips? Build targets?

I would be able to commit it in the weekend.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: [VOTE] RE: New "module" terminology: WAS: Extending the build system for modules

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 19.Aug.2002 -- 02:11 PM, Stephan Michels wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> > Stephan Michels wrote:

> > > Cocoon and the

Yup, but we're not talking about cvs modules, are we. And we are not
talking about org.apache.cocoon.components nor
org.apache.cocoon.components.modules but about something that avalon
calls "sub-project".

-100 for 'module' because of the above

> +1 for 'extension' (short 'ext'). (But 'module' also okay).

+1 for 'extension' or anything else, that doesn't conflict with existing naming.

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de