Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "White, Joshua A (CASD, IT)" <Jo...@thehartford.com> on 2003/04/02 19:21:29 UTC

ViewFileAction Help

Hello all,

I am having a little trouble reading a file off the server and displaying it
to the user for viewing.  I am receiving the following error from explorer:

Internet explorer cannot download ...viewFile.do?fileId=8 from localhost.
Internet explorer was not able to open this internet site.  The requested
site is either unavailable or cannot be done.  Please try again later.

This is some of the code that I am using in my action class:
        try {

            response.setContentType(myFile.getContentType());
            response.setContentLength(myFile.getLength());

            BufferedOutputStream bos = new
BufferedOutputStream(response.getOutputStream());
            FileInputStream fis = new FileInputStream(myFileFile);
            byte[] buffer = new byte[1024];
            int bytes_read;
            while((bytes_read = fis.read(buffer)) != -1) {
                bos.write(buffer, 0, bytes_read);
            }
            fis.close();
            bos.close();
        }
        catch (Exception e) {
            getServlet().log("ViewFileAction.executeAction " +
                "Exception: " + e.getMessage());
            System.out.println(">>>>>ERROR!!!! " + e.getMessage());
            e.printStackTrace();
            throw new SystemException(e);
        }
        return null;

The contentType and contentLength are being set correctly.  Because there is
nothing to do after writing the file to the browser, I return a null
ActionForward.

Any suggestions here?  Is an action the wrong place to put this code?  I am
hoping to generate a popup with the file displayed in it.

Regards,

Joshua

immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.