Posted to women@apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2005/08/15 00:31:09 UTC

Charter for Apache women list: women@apache.org

There was a ton of email last week on women@ and out of it comes a
strong sense that two lists are needed: one for operational discussions
and a second mail list for strategic discussions.

This email thread discusses the charter for women@apache.org, which is
focused on operational discussions. I started a separate thread for
women-{strategic_name_tbd}@apache.org .

I'm freely stealing the words and ideas of others that I've heard in the
last week. But any misrepresentations of anyone's ideas are my fault
alone and please jump in and correct me (and my apologies in advance).

women@apache.org
================

This is the operational list intended for helping women become active in
projects at Apache.

Goals:
1. Support a community dialogue with the women we want to help get
    more involved. Those on the list who are more knowledgeable about
    the ASF can help those who are less knowledgeable understand what
    Apache is and how to do things at Apache.
2. Provide a place where women who are involved at the ASF, and
    women who are not (but perhaps would like to be), can share
    experiences and discuss both obstacles and successful approaches
    to getting involved.
3. Provide a place where other interested parties at the ASF, such
    as women-{strategic_name_tdb}@apache.org, can become aware of
    those discussions and issues.
4. Provide a comfortable forum for women to discuss issues relating
    to Apache that they feel particularly apply to their gender.
5. Provide a forum in which women can be supported and encouraged
    by each other (and others) in endeavours to become or continue
    involved at the ASF.
6. Adapt to such currently-unanticipated future goals or objectives
    as may seem appropriate as time passes.

Subscriptions:
1. Non-committers may subscribe
2. Subscriptions are moderated until the list decides otherwise
3. The list is publicly archived

Mail list description:

in Apache Software Foundation projects.  This list is open to anyone
who wants to participate in an Apache project. It provides a supportive,
encouraging forum to discuss topics that will help women get involved.
You might be a woman who wants to get (more) involved or you might be
somebody who wants to help women get involved. Subscriptions are
moderated, but public archives are available.

Am I capturing what was conveyed over the last week for the operational
list? Am I missing anything?

thanks,

  -jean

Re: Charter for Apache women list: women@apache.org

Posted by Ian Holsman <kr...@gmail.com>.
+1 on this and the other list Jean.

I wish I could have said this as well as you on the vote thread.

Cheers
Ian

--
Ian@Holsman.net -- 03-9877-0909
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. -

Re: Charter for Apache women list: women@apache.org

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>>Am I capturing what was conveyed over the last week
>>for the operational list? Am I missing anything?
>

> I reckon you have done a great job at defining the purpose.
>
> I am still concerned that the issues are far wider than
> just women, so the list will get tangled up with the
> general newbie issues. But as already discussed: do it
> and see where it leads. Perhaps the smaller group will
> be better able to address those general issues.

There is overlap with newbie issues. But if we want to increase
participation by women, a specifically women's list is more likely to
achieve greater participation.

> What is the purpose of moderating subscriptions with a list
> that allows anyone to subscribe? I cannot see on what basis
> the moderators are going to deny a certain subscription.

It's how the list was originally set up.

Would anyone object to removing moderation of subscriptions? I'm fine
with that.

If we leave moderation in place, I need some help understanding better
how to moderate the subscription. :-) I know how to moderate posts from
Derby experience, but this is my first time moderating subscriptions.
When I reply to the moderation notice, there is a cc to the requestor.
Should I leave that? or remove it? And should we provide more info about
the list at that point? I thought David said something about that in
another thread, but I'm having difficulty finding that now.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Am I capturing what was conveyed over the last week
> for the operational list? Am I missing anything?

I reckon you have done a great job at defining the purpose.

I am still concerned that the issues are far wider than
just women, so the list will get tangled up with the
general newbie issues. But as already discussed: do it
and see where it leads. Perhaps the smaller group will
be better able to address those general issues.

What is the purpose of moderating subscriptions with a list
that allows anyone to subscribe? I cannot see on what basis
the moderators are going to deny a certain subscription.

-David

Re: Charter for Apache women list: women@apache.org

Posted by susan wu <su...@arctic.org>.

+1

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Regarding this:
>
>   If you are interested in joining, please send an email to
> women-subscribe@apache.org, with a brief sentence or two describing who
> you are.
>
> I wondered if the "brief sentence or two" would be passed through to the
> moderation request. I didn't have time to pursue that today and will try
> to do so tomorrow.

For closure on this thread, the message gets passed through so
moderation works as desired (David, thanks for testing).

This then makes a good invite/description:

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> I wondered if the "brief sentence or two" would be passed through to the
> moderation request. I didn't have time to pursue that today and will try
> to do so tomorrow.

Lets test it. I will subscribe from another address.
Deny it or i will unsub, whatever.

-David

Re: Charter for Apache women list: women@apache.org

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Down below is a modification of the charter for the women@apache.org
list first posted at
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-women/200508.mbox/%3c42FFC62D.5090102@bristowhill.com%3e
. This works in Susan Wu's suggestions from
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-women/200508.mbox/%3cPine.LNX.4.63.0508162317030.18729@twinlark.arctic.org%3e
.