Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@mch.sni.de> on 1997/09/17 17:34:10 UTC

[Silence on the list?] Coding Style Questions

[Wow! Not a single message today? What's going on? Hyperreal down? Or my
company?]

As the code is revamped and unified, I'd like to know which style is
preferred for "new style" code. Is there a consensus, or a paper about it,
or do developers do it either way?

Which alternative is the preferred style, in your opinion?

      Either:                                Or:
      =======                               =====

  port = 80;                        port = DEFAULT_PORT;

  return DOCUMENT_FOLLOWS;          return HTTP_OK;
  return REDIRECT;                  return HTTP_MOVED_TEMPORARILY;
      etc.                              etc.

				    #define HTTP_PROTO(major,minor) (1000*(major)+(minor))
  if (r->proto_num >= 1001) ...     if (r->proto_num >= HTTP_PROTO(1,1)) ...

With the exception of the last example, it appears to me that newer code
prefers the second column, but I might be mistaken.

Anyone?
    Martin

Re: [Silence on the list?] Coding Style Questions

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Martin Kraemer wrote:

> [Wow! Not a single message today? What's going on? Hyperreal down? Or my
> company?]
>
> As the code is revamped and unified, I'd like to know which style is
> preferred for "new style" code. Is there a consensus, or a paper about it,
> or do developers do it either way?
>
> Which alternative is the preferred style, in your opinion?
>
>       Either:                                Or:
>       =======                               =====
>
>   port = 80;                        port = DEFAULT_PORT;
>
>   return DOCUMENT_FOLLOWS;          return HTTP_OK;
>   return REDIRECT;                  return HTTP_MOVED_TEMPORARILY;
>       etc.                              etc.
>
>                                     #define HTTP_PROTO(major,minor) (1000*(major)+(minor))
>   if (r->proto_num >= 1001) ...     if (r->proto_num >= HTTP_PROTO(1,1)) ...
>
> With the exception of the last example, it appears to me that newer code
> prefers the second column, but I might be mistaken.

Yep, column 2. But DEFAULT_PORT should depend on the connection, as in
default_port(r) (in an ideal world).

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|http://www.apache.org

Re: [Silence on the list?] Coding Style Questions

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Martin Kraemer wrote:

> [Wow! Not a single message today? What's going on? Hyperreal down? Or my
> company?]

Yeah I know, I was wondering myself :)

>       Either:                                Or:
>
>   port = 80;                        port = DEFAULT_PORT;
>
>   return DOCUMENT_FOLLOWS;          return HTTP_OK;
>   return REDIRECT;                  return HTTP_MOVED_TEMPORARILY;
>       etc.                              etc.

New code should be in the style of the second column.

> 				    #define HTTP_PROTO(major,minor) (1000*(major)+(minor))
>   if (r->proto_num >= 1001) ...     if (r->proto_num >= HTTP_PROTO(1,1)) ...

This wouldn't be a bad change at all...

Dean