Posted to dev@datasketches.apache.org by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org> on 2020/12/21 17:09:59 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] New Committer Process for DataSketches

I like it! Couple thoughts, having authored a similar doc:

1. You may also want to have some process or practice that comes prior to
the proposal, for discussing new or repeat contributors. Often an initial
discussion may result in "wait and see" or "let's reach out to them". For
Beam it has been very effective to send a thank you email with
encouragement. Of course, just getting a nice email isn't going to
magically change their job or personal interest/availability. I think it
helps a contributor realize that they *can* become a committer, rather than
thinking they are permanently "outside" the project.

2. Another note is that this process is good PMC-facing documentation but
obviously also serves for contributors to understand the expectations. You
may want to either phrase it to serve both purposes well, or have two
separate docs. In Beam the expectations are largely contributor-focused (
https://beam.apache.org/contribute/become-a-committer/). The official
process is not actually documented AFAIK but if it were it would focus on
procedures and simply reference the contributor-focused list of
expectations.

That's all just ideas from a quite different project. This is a nice doc
already.

Kenn

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Excellent feedback! Thank you!

We sorta already do #1, but you are right, we don’t have it documented as
part of the process.  We are still pretty small, and it didn’t occur to us
to write it down, but we clearly could.

#2 has occurred to me as well and separating the requirements from the
details of the process is cleaner.

I had to document the process, because the ASF and Incubator documentation
is rather scattered, lacking critical information, and hard to find.  I
also noticed that several other projects have done the same thing.

Cheers and stay healthy.

Lee.

From my cell phone.