Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by gregers <na...@spamgourmet.com> on 2008/08/13 10:42:44 UTC

Re: Proposal - JS Reader

This might be a little too late, but there is a similar project. It's not a
Cocoon plugin, but a servlet, which is somewhat close to a Reader, from what
I understand...?

The project is called JAWR
https://jawr.dev.java.net/

It's a servlet that compresses all your javascript and css on server
startup. It can bundle serveral javascript to one package, as well as
compress every single js file. Supports minification with YUI Compressor and
some others, as well as gzipping requests.

I've tested it for a project I'm working on, but think I'll go for the YUI
Compressor Maven plugin instead. Mostly because we create a javascript api
that is needed by external partner sites, and JAWR doesn't have a good
solutions for serving javascript to external sites. It's possible with a js
include, but not an optimal solution imho.

Regards,
Gregers

Re: Proposal - JS Reader

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@apache.org>.
Hi Guys

IMHO the most likely scenario ATM will be that JS libs for eg. CForms
would be minified and packaged as a production step, either manually
or automatically. Then served as Mark says, via HTTPD using gzip
compression.

i.e. there is more than just compression involved

But, I have not got this far yet .....

regards Jeremy

Re: Proposal - JS Reader