Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org> on 2017/07/25 22:31:23 UTC

Unsynchronize xmlbean calls

Hi,

does anyone mind, if we unsynchronize the xmlbean calls? [1]

Andi

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45082014/

Re: Unsynchronize xmlbean calls

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
+1 to this change. It won't improve performance dramatically, but every
little bit helps.

>>We should keep that promise, so either this should still hold, or the
>>unsynchronized access is an option that the user can enable.

POI should be good to work with different workbooks from different threads
in the workbook-per-thread mode and setting XmlOptions#setUnsynchronized()
will not impact it. We can keep the current promise .  It was never a
promise to work with the same workbook or any part of it from multiple
threads and there is no point to introduce overhead on synchronization.

XmlBeans is very old-school and written back in times when default
synchronization was okay.  java.util.Vector are java.lang.StringBuffer are
examples of this style.

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Greg Woolsey <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1, and good find by the SO user.