Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@apache.org> on 2018/07/11 15:17:33 UTC

New Git repo. incubator-openwhisk-deploy-openshift created

OpenWhiskers,

In order to facilitate our understanding what Red Hat has done with the OpenWhisk codebase in order to get it running under OpenShift (and its underlying Kubenetes specializations, non-Helm deployment tooling, CentOS base image dependencies as well as other many other considerations they needed to get to a production system), I have worked with Apache infra. to create the "incubator-openwhisk-deploy-openshift" repo. and prime it to have all the essentials.

Chatting with Brendan, he and Ben have agreed to start populating it with their codebase shortly and hopefully this will allow us all better to discuss the future needs for all interested parties to eventually move forward under one Kubernetes banner and be able to more effectively converge to a unified codebase under this framework.

Over time, I see us eventually moving in a direction where we work both to have a single "deploy Kube" approach that supports a configurable/pluggable build process that allows choice base image and deployment tooling and which (eventually) can in turn be folded into the main OW repo. as the reference  deployment mechanism for the project as a whole.

Many thanks to Red Hat for helping "bring to the table" their invaluable knowledge of Kubernetes and related technologies; I am sure we all all be engaging in some interesting topics soon on this email list and referencing that repo. a lot.

Cheers!

Re: New Git repo. incubator-openwhisk-deploy-openshift created

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.
Great to hear. Thanks Matt for setting up the repo and Brendan, Ben and
others for the contributions.

-r