Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com> on 2009/05/25 18:16:14 UTC

RE: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of multipart/form-datarequest failed. Stream ended unexpectedly

> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of
> multipart/form-datarequest failed. Stream ended unexpectedly
>
> Bill Barker wrote:
>
> >>    ProxyTimeout 3600
> >
> > This looks a lot like 30min ;)
> >
> Does it really ?

Maybe he was moving at 0.75c at the time... it's all relative.

 - Chuck

RE: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of
> multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly
>
> All in all, I believe the on-line doc has a bigger chance of being
> accurate than the book; and I also believe Tomcat will just ignore
> attributes that it does not know.

Correct on both counts.

 - Chuck

RE: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
any way to incorporate Javadoc AND translations as part of the build for
deutsche?
francais?
polska?
italiano?
norsk?
svenska?

BTW: andre you are awake now so looks like you are one of the early am TC gurus

Martin Gainty

> Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 14:01:55 +0200
> From: aw@ice-sa.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of multipart/form-data 	request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly
>
> Mateusz Kijowski wrote:
> > 2009/8/4 André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>:
> >> May or may not be relevant, but I do not see the above attributes in the
> >> Tomcat AJP Connector docs.
> >> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/ajp.html
> >> and only see disableUploadTimeout in the HTTP Connector.
> >> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/http.html
> >
> > André,
> >

> > Thanks for your reply. Those attributes are taken from polish
> > translation of "Tomcat. The definitive guide." from O'Reilly. Perhaps
> > the on-line docs are out of date? Tomcat doesn't complain about them
> > at startup so I suppose that they are correct. Moreover, I added those
> > hoping that it would solve the issue so these are most probably not
> > causing my problems.
> >
> The experts should be waking up soon, and they will tell us.
> All in all, I believe the on-line doc has a bigger chance of being
> accurate than the book; and I also believe Tomcat will just ignore
> attributes that it does not know.
>
> In which case you are right, they would not be causing your problem. But
> they may give you the impression that you are changing something, while
> you aren't.

Get your vacation photos on your phone!
http://windowsliveformobile.com/en-us/photos/default.aspx?&OCID=0809TL-HM

Re: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Mateusz Kijowski wrote:
>>> All in all, I believe the on-line doc has a bigger chance of being
>>> accurate than the book; and I also believe Tomcat will just ignore
>>> attributes that it does not know.
>> I regard both of the above statements as true. What version of Tomcat
>> does your copy of "Tomcat: The Definitive Guide" cover? Assuming you
>> have the 2nd Edition, it was written in 2007 and should cover Tomcat 6
>> configuration as well as 5.5.
>
> The "Definitive Guide" I have is the second edition, supposedly
> covering 6.0. The book doesn't describe HTTP and AJP connectors
> separately, instead the attributes in question are both present in the
> list of allowed attributes for the Connector config element.

That is bad. There are significant differences between AJP and HTTP.

> The
> header of the attribute list says that the list contains attributes
> allowed by all Connectors shipped with Tomcat (not specifying any
> specific version). That's why I guessed that Tomcat version was
> irrelevant.
>
> Again, either the on-line docs are out of date, or the book is wrong.

The book is wrong. Whilst the on-line docs aren't perfect they are
always going to be more up to date than a book.

>> You didn't mention which version of Tomcat you're using, so we don't
>> know which configuration documentation to send you. :(
>
> Sorry about that, I am using 6.0.18 and Apache httpd 2.2.11. The
> problem still occurs quite regularly, and I can't think of any more
> settings to tune.

As per the advice previously mentioned in this thread. Connect directly
to Tomcat and see if you still get the problem. That would help narrow
things down.

What is your timeout setting for httpd?

Personally, I usually roll out Wireshark / tcpdump at this point to see
exactly what is going on. It'll be a time-out somewhere. You just need
to find out where.

Mark

Re: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly

Posted by Mateusz Kijowski <ma...@gmail.com>.
>> All in all, I believe the on-line doc has a bigger chance of being
>> accurate than the book; and I also believe Tomcat will just ignore
>> attributes that it does not know.
>
> I regard both of the above statements as true. What version of Tomcat
> does your copy of "Tomcat: The Definitive Guide" cover? Assuming you
> have the 2nd Edition, it was written in 2007 and should cover Tomcat 6
> configuration as well as 5.5.

The "Definitive Guide" I have is the second edition, supposedly
covering 6.0. The book doesn't describe HTTP and AJP connectors
separately, instead the attributes in question are both present in the
list of allowed attributes for the Connector config element. The
header of the attribute list says that the list contains attributes
allowed by all Connectors shipped with Tomcat (not specifying any
specific version). That's why I guessed that Tomcat version was
irrelevant.

Again, either the on-line docs are out of date, or the book is wrong.

> You didn't mention which version of Tomcat you're using, so we don't
> know which configuration documentation to send you. :(

Sorry about that, I am using 6.0.18 and Apache httpd 2.2.11. The
problem still occurs quite regularly, and I can't think of any more
settings to tune.

Thanks for all of your replies,

Mateusz.

Re: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Mateusz Kijowski <ma...@gmail.com>.
2009/8/4 André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>:
> May or may not be relevant, but I do not see the above attributes in the
> Tomcat AJP Connector docs.
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/ajp.html
> and only see disableUploadTimeout in the HTTP Connector.
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/http.html

André,

Thanks for your reply. Those attributes are taken from polish
translation of "Tomcat. The definitive guide." from O'Reilly. Perhaps
the on-line docs are out of date? Tomcat doesn't complain about them
at startup so I suppose that they are correct. Moreover, I added those
hoping that it would solve the issue so these are most probably not
causing my problems.

Does anybody have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance,

Mateusz.

Re: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly

Posted by christianjunk <ch...@christianjunk.de>.
Is there any solution out now? I'm having the same problems with Tomcat
6.0.18 (Windows) behind an Apache2 webserver, using ProxyPass.

When I connect to Tomcat directly I have no problems and the uploads work
fine.

Regards,
Christian

Re: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of
> multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly
>
> disableUploadTimeout is definitely in the HTTP connector documentation.

True, but we're talking about the AJP, not HTTP, connector, and there's no tag in the docs related to upload timeouts for AJP.

 - Chuck

Re: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Mateusz Kijowski <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

It seems that I am encountering the same or similar problem. I am
getting the same exception using the same proxy setup (Apache httpd ->
mod_proxy_ajp -> AJP Connector -> Apache Tomcat), although I am not
certain that the exception occurs after 30 minutes. The only way to
reproduce this error involved using bandwidth throttler on a Windows
XP client. It also seems that the problem is reproducible only under
IE, but I might be wrong about this. I tried to reproduce the error by
modifying various timeouts, but I did not succeed.

Below are relevant configuration snippets:

<Connector  port="8009"

                protocol="AJP/1.3" connectionTimeout="120000" maxThreads="1000"
                minSpareThreads="50" maxSpareThreads="100" enableLookups="false"
                acceptCount="150" address="127.0.0.1"
useBodyEncodingForURI="true"

                compression="on"
                compressionMinSize="1024"
                compressableMimeType="text/html,text/xml"
                connectionUploadTimeout="3600000"
                disableUploadTimeout="true"

/>

Timeout 600

<VirtualHost example.com>

#[...]

        Timeout 3600
        ProxyPass / ajp://localhost:8009/
        ProxyPassReverse / ajp://localhost:8009/
        ProxyTimeout 3600

</VirtualHost>

Patrick, did you manage to find the cause? Does anyone else have a
hint what might be the cause?

Thanks for your help,

Mateusz.

Re: Upload stop after 30 minutes: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly

Posted by Patrick Herber <pa...@ticino.com>.
Originally I'd put this setting ProxyTimeout 3600, because it seams to
be the only existing timeout setting at proxy's level (togheter with
Timeout and the attribute timeout=xxx of proxypass).

However,  removing this setting, putting it after ProxyPass, using
Timeout at VirtualHost level (see:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-users/200710.mbox/%3C20071003101352.GA9810@w032y7.pnet.ch%3E)
does not make any difference...

Do you have any other suggestions?