Posted to wss4j-dev@ws.apache.org by Srinath Perera <he...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/06 23:07:05 UTC

[Policy]How to Specify Policy for SAML Assertions?

Hi All;

I am trying to specify that the client need a  SMAL assertion included
in the request by specifying it using WS-Policy. The Assertion is a
token issued by third part which act as a capability token.

            <Assertion xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:assertion"
               <Conditions NotBefore="2006-02-03T17:39:57.240Z"
NotOnOrAfter="2006-02-03T18:09:57.240Z">
                  <AudienceRestrictionCondition> ...
</AudienceRestrictionCondition>
               </Conditions>
               <AuthorizationDecisionStatement
Resource="http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/lead/TestCMD_Simple_Fri_Feb_03_12_39_52_EST_2006_653199"
Decision="Permit">
                  <Subject>
                     <NameIdentifier>/C=US/O=Indiana
University/OU=Computer Science/CN=Hemapani Srinath
Perera</NameIdentifier>
                     <SubjectConfirmation>

<ConfirmationMethod>urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:cm:bearer</ConfirmationMethod>
                     </SubjectConfirmation>
                  </Subject>
                  <Action
Namespace="http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/lead">Run</Action>
               </AuthorizationDecisionStatement>
               <ds:Signature> ....              </ds:Signature>
            </Assertion>

I find two options to do that so far,

1) IssuedToken Assertion, as by the  6.3.2 IssuedToken Assertion of
WS-Secuirty Policy Specification
2) SMAL Assertion, as by  6.3.8 SamlToken Assertion of WS-Secuirty
Policy Specification

If anyone has use either of the method, please give me a pointer

1) can anybody recommend using one over the other? Or a better way to do it
2) Can do anyone have a example of using either kind of Policy assertion?

Thanks
Srinath

Re: [Policy]How to Specify Policy for SAML Assertions?

Posted by Edson Camargo <ca...@das.ufsc.br>.
The answer about my previous questions:

Edson,

I believe your question is, how does a service tell a client the required content for the SAML token the client will present to the service. The sp:RequestSecurityTokenTemplate can include a wst:Claims elements whose content can be used to specify claims that are required by the service the client wants to talk to.

Hope this helps,

Gudge

Edson

Posted by Edson Camargo <ca...@das.ufsc.br>.