Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2003/08/08 08:54:57 UTC

J2EE reference implementation

With Tomcat being the RI for the Java 'web' specs, it seems natural that
people will be wondering whether Geronimo:

a) Is the J2EE RI.
b) Wants to be the J2EE RI.

The FAQ should comment on this I think.

Equally, the answer to b) does affect how a lot of the design questions
are discussed. Will Geronimo seek to toe the J2EE line utterly, or look to
add extra features that are not banned by the spec, but a little odd.
JBoss' switch to aspects would be one such example. It doesn't break the
spec [I imagine] but it is quite a difference to other servers out there.

Is Geronimo to be an old plodding shire horse, solid and simple but not
flash, or to be a sleek racing horse, fast and complex? :)

Hen

Re: J2EE reference implementation

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 02:54:57AM -0400, Henri Yandell wrote:

> With Tomcat being the RI for the Java 'web' specs, it seems natural that
> people will be wondering whether Geronimo:
>
> a) Is the J2EE RI.

Not unless Sun says so, which is (obviously) out of our hands :-)

> b) Wants to be the J2EE RI.

That's a good question for this community, along with the ramifications of
what that might entail.

> Equally, the answer to b) does affect how a lot of the design questions
> are discussed. Will Geronimo seek to toe the J2EE line utterly, or look to
> add extra features that are not banned by the spec, but a little odd.

There has been various mutterings about different packaging/distribution
setups. You could have a "toe-the-line" J2EE distribution. Throw in some
more components and a bit different default config and now you have a
"beyond-the-spec" J2EE distro. In particular, the former might be the thing
which gets certified as compliant, while the latter is just another heavy
duty app server.

All that said, the real answer is that Sun has quite a bit more internal
discussion to go before being able to answer (a).

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: J2EE reference implementation

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
I realised an important effect of my question is:

if b) is not true, then relying on Tomcat as the default web container
will become an issue.

Hen

Posted by Lincoln Stoll <ls...@internode.on.net>.