Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Marco Mistroni <mm...@waersystems.com> on 2006/01/03 10:35:05 UTC

OT/ JSF & Indexed properties

Hello all,
	Sorry for the OT ... I was wondering, for anyone who has switched
>From struts to JSF, how have you dealt with indexed properties?
I am currently using MyFaces, and looks like I have an usecase in which
I need to use indexed properties..
I was told that JSF does not support htat... are there any workarounds?

Basically, I'd need in my jsf page something like this

<t:inputText   value="#{savingsBean.amounts[0]}"/>

Anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks and regards
	marco

Re: OT/ JSF & Indexed properties

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 1/3/06, Marco Mistroni <mm...@waersystems.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>         Sorry for the OT ... I was wondering, for anyone who has switched
> From struts to JSF, how have you dealt with indexed properties?
> I am currently using MyFaces, and looks like I have an usecase in which
> I need to use indexed properties..
> I was told that JSF does not support htat... are there any workarounds?
>

> Basically, I'd need in my jsf page something like this
>
> <t:inputText   value="#{savingsBean.amounts[0]}"/>
>

> Anyone has any suggestions?

The general JSF approach would be to use a component that does the iteration
over a list, rather than embedding the iteration in your JSP page.  For
example, you might use a table component bound to the entire array:

    <h:dataTable ... value="#{savingsBean.accounts}" var="current">
        <h:column>
            <h:inputText ... value="#{current.amount}"/>
        </h:column>
    </h:dataTable>

The table would be bound to an array of account beans, and (as it iterates)
exposes the account bean for the current row in a request attribute named
"current".  Inside a column, you can bind components to a property of the
current row's account bean, and the table component deals with all the
looping and indexing for you.

Thanks and regards
>         marco

Craig