Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org> on 2015/08/01 00:30:52 UTC

[DISCUSSION] ODF Plugfest, September 2015 (was RE: [NOMINATION] Dennis Hamilton ... )

Roberto mentions the forthcoming ODF Plugfest to be held September 15-16 at the Hague.

WHAT THE ODF PLUGFEST IS

Information about the Plugfest is on this Wiki page:
<http://plugtest.opendocsociety.org/doku.php?id=plugfests:201509_thehague:info>.

To see how these have operated, it is useful to look at the programs of prior plugfests starting with the two in 2009 (although some of the historical material seems to consist of placeholders).

I have not been to any of these except vicariously as a member of the OASIS ODF Interoperability and Conformance (OIC) Technical Committee and as a participant in some of the planning.

I see three matters that are useful to be present for.  Anyone could attend to participate as a contributor to Apache OpenOffice in those events:

 1. The presentations on ODF adoption and also on developments of the ODF specifications
 2. The subsequent presentations on implementation efforts, where 8 are listed so far, including Apache OpenOffice.
 3. The Interop testing that occupies the remainder of the first day and all of the second day.  For this, it is desirable to show up with demonstration and test documents to interchanges and then inspect implementations.  This activity tends to be conducted in confidence, regrettably.  There is a sample scenario template to use in presenting tests.

AOO PARTICIPATION

For AOO, it would be good to have some simple presentation of status for (2) and to have some contributions (3) of tests or exemplary documents for which interoperability is a concern.

Roberto has been on the calls for organization of the Plugtest and it is valuable that he is doing so.  His keeping us apprised of what AOO might do to contribute and to participate will be very helpful.

I think if we create a portfolio of tests and a few slides on the status of AOO by mid-September, anyone could be present as an AOO participant.

The Plugfests are obviously more amenable to participation by ODF experts and implementers that are based in Europe and we have able members of the AOO community there.

MY PERSONAL PARTICIPATION

I have always wanted to go to a Plugfest and never managed to arrange it.  I think we have many able spokespersons.

I do not have the means to travel to The Netherlands for this event.  I am willing to go, although it would be valuable to at least have someone more technically involved around interoperability testing.  I don't think it is necessary to have someone be an official of some form, whether PMC member or a Chair.

Here at dev@ we can work up a status report that anyone could deliver and also development of any contributions to the interoperability testing that would be useful for cross-implementation demonstration/confirmation in those sessions.

I am happy to cooperate in any way I can in the development of such materials.  I trust Roberto will continue to participate on the calls (since they tend to be at 6am in my local time).

 - Dennis

PS: Roberto may have been reminded of this because Rob Weir recalled meeting me at an ODF Plugfest.  There never has been one of those in the United States.  Rob and I met for the first time at an ISO/IEC JTC1 SC34 plenary and Working Group meetings in Bellevue, Washington, near Redmond.  I had the pleasure of showing Rob some of the sights in downtown Seattle on the day ahead of those events.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 1 August 2015 at 19:23, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> jan i wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, August 1, 2015, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>
>>> Well, the project does have funds to spend on events and they have to be
>>> spent, so funding is only a matter of a discussion/vote/consensus here.
>>> Don't worry about this.
>>>
>> We used to have a rule of 250eur if I remember right, travelling from US
>> is
>> likely to be 1000+
>>

> We've never had generic provisions, since all events are specific. I think
> that limit was for FOSDEM. Moreover, we never got to the step of actually
> reimbursing anyone, since nobody ever (me, you, anybody else) asked for
> travel reimbursement in the end... If we set some guidelines, it would make
> sense to have at least a recommendation to prefer short-range travel.

I saw the 250EUR as generic, we briefly discussed it for at least another
event, but you are right it never came to payment time.

I would like to have guidelines, but not really event specific, but a max.
pr person pr event and that is how I saw the 250EUR. We do not need strong
guidelines,
but something should be made, to ensure fairness (e.g. the 250EUR would not
have paid in full my last trip to FOSDEM) and I totally agree with
short-range travel.

rgds
jan i

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On Saturday, August 1, 2015, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 01/08/2015 Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>
>> I think if we create a portfolio of tests and a few slides on the
>> status of AOO by mid-September, anyone could be present as an AOO
>> participant.
>>

> So in terms of tests we would need, for example, ODF documents exported by
> Google Docs (or IBM Docs, or whatever claims to produce ODF) that do not
> render as expected in OpenOffice? I assume this "interoperability" (seeing
> the type of event) is meant exclusively in ODF format, right? I.e., nothing
> related to OOXML for example.
>
> I do not have the means to travel to The Netherlands for this event.
>>

> Well, the project does have funds to spend on events and they have to be
> spent, so funding is only a matter of a discussion/vote/consensus here.
> Don't worry about this.

We used to have a rule of 250eur if I remember right, travelling from US is
likely to be 1000+

> I am willing to go, although it would be valuable to at least have
>> someone more technically involved around interoperability testing.  I
>> don't think it is necessary to have someone be an official
>>

> Sure, any properly skilled contributor can do. Is there a limit on the
> number of attendees? You could also be 2 people, Amsterdam is easily
> reachable by anyone in Europe.
>
> I find this to be an interesting event, especially as I am preparing an
> ApacheCon talk somewhat related to this; but it overlaps with another event
> and I won't be able to attend.
>
> I trust Roberto will continue to participate on the calls
>>

> I haven't understood if Roberto is going to attend too, but a stronger
> presence at technical and non-technical events can only be beneficial.

+1

rgds
jan i

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.