Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com> on 2010/06/04 01:08:56 UTC

Visual SourceSafe Antlib (was [DISCUSS] Commercial Tasks in Ant)

On 02/06/2010 8:14 PM, Kevin Jackson wrote:

>>     - Microsoft Visual SourceSafe: already an Antlib, just need the vote to
>> get it out of Ant core/optional and to get a release.
>>

> I did the work for this, but could never get the requisite number of
> votes for this to be released.

I've got access to Visual SourceSafe now, so between you and me and
Stefan we could probably get it out of the sandbox.

I've added to the tests in the last couple of days. One downside to the
way they are currently laid out is that you have to do a test build
followed by a cleanup build every time (running Ant twice). Separating
them out makes sense so that you have time between runs to examine the
database and make sure everything is as expected. The trouble is that if
you try to do two tests in a row without running cleanup in between, you
get a build failure. Any ideas about how to fix that?

Re: Visual SourceSafe Antlib (was [DISCUSS] Commercial Tasks in Ant)

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> I've got access to Visual SourceSafe now, so between you and me and Stefan
> we could probably get it out of the sandbox.
>
> I've added to the tests in the last couple of days. One downside to the way
> they are currently laid out is that you have to do a test build followed by
> a cleanup build every time (running Ant twice). Separating them out makes
> sense so that you have time between runs to examine the database and make
> sure everything is as expected. The trouble is that if you try to do two
> tests in a row without running cleanup in between, you get a build failure.
> Any ideas about how to fix that?

We could structure it so that the cleanup is done before running the tests.

That way it would still be possible to manually 'eyeball' the
repository after a test run.

I'd have to download vss again as I don't have it right now

Kev

Re: Visual SourceSafe Antlib

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-06-08, Bruce Atherton wrote:

> On 08/06/2010 7:08 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> Can the tests depend on cleanup?  Sorry, I haven't actually looked into
>> the build file but thought I might toss out the idea anyway.

> Sure they could, but then you couldn't examine the repository to make
> sure everything is being stored as expected.

If test depends on cleanup you can examine anything you want after
running the tests and things will get cleaned up before you run the next
tests.

Stefan

Re: Visual SourceSafe Antlib

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.
On 08/06/2010 7:08 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Can the tests depend on cleanup?  Sorry, I haven't actually looked into
> the build file but thought I might toss out the idea anyway.

Sure they could, but then you couldn't examine the repository to make
sure everything is being stored as expected. Fine for automated tasks,
but I like having the ability to manually look things over to make sure
everything is as expected. Eventually the tests could become
sophisticated enough to do the checking themselves, but for now they are
pretty basic: Did calling the ss.exe command succeed or return an error
code? If an error code, then the build fails.

Re: Visual SourceSafe Antlib

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.