Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Satish Duggana <sa...@apache.org> on 2023/10/11 05:39:04 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Kafka 3.6.0

The Apache Kafka community is pleased to announce the release for
Apache Kafka 3.6.0

This is a minor release and it includes fixes and improvements from 238 JIRAs.

All of the changes in this release can be found in the release notes:
https://www.apache.org/dist/kafka/3.6.0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

An overview of the release can be found in our announcement blog post:
https://kafka.apache.org/blog

You can download the source and binary release (Scala 2.12 and Scala 2.13) from:
https://kafka.apache.org/downloads#3.6.0

Apache Kafka is a distributed streaming platform with four core APIs:

** The Producer API allows an application to publish a stream of records to
one or more Kafka topics.

** The Consumer API allows an application to subscribe to one or more
topics and process the stream of records produced to them.

** The Streams API allows an application to act as a stream processor,
consuming an input stream from one or more topics and producing an
output stream to one or more output topics, effectively transforming the
input streams to output streams.

** The Connector API allows building and running reusable producers or
consumers that connect Kafka topics to existing applications or data
systems. For example, a connector to a relational database might
capture every change to a table.

With these APIs, Kafka can be used for two broad classes of application:

** Building real-time streaming data pipelines that reliably get data
between systems or applications.

** Building real-time streaming applications that transform or react
to the streams of data.

Apache Kafka is in use at large and small companies worldwide, including
Capital One, Goldman Sachs, ING, LinkedIn, Netflix, Pinterest, Rabobank,
Target, The New York Times, Uber, Yelp, and Zalando, among others.

A big thank you for the following 139 contributors to this release!
(Please report an unintended omission)

This was a community effort, so thank you to everyone who contributed
to this release, including all our users and our 139 contributors:
A. Sophie Blee-Goldman, Aaron Ai, Abhijeet Kumar, aindriu-aiven,
Akhilesh Chaganti, Alexandre Dupriez, Alexandre Garnier, Alok
Thatikunta, Alyssa Huang, Aman Singh, Andras Katona, Andrew Schofield,
Andrew Grant, Aneel Kumar, Anton Agestam, Artem Livshits, atu-sharm,
bachmanity1, Bill Bejeck, Bo Gao, Bruno Cadonna, Calvin Liu, Chaitanya
Mukka, Chase Thomas, Cheryl Simmons, Chia-Ping Tsai, Chris Egerton,
Christo Lolov, Clay Johnson, Colin P. McCabe, Colt McNealy, d00791190,
Damon Xie, Danica Fine, Daniel Scanteianu, Daniel Urban, David Arthur,
David Jacot, David Mao, dengziming, Deqi Hu, Dimitar Dimitrov, Divij
Vaidya, DL1231, Dániel Urbán, Erik van Oosten, ezio, Farooq Qaiser,
Federico Valeri, flashmouse, Florin Akermann, Gabriel Oliveira,
Gantigmaa Selenge, Gaurav Narula, GeunJae Jeon, Greg Harris, Guozhang
Wang, Hailey Ni, Hao Li, Hector Geraldino, hudeqi, hzh0425, Iblis Lin,
iit2009060, Ismael Juma, Ivan Yurchenko, James Shaw, Jason Gustafson,
Jeff Kim, Jim Galasyn, John Roesler, Joobi S B, Jorge Esteban Quilcate
Otoya, Josep Prat, Joseph (Ting-Chou) Lin, José Armando García Sancio,
Jun Rao, Justine Olshan, Kamal Chandraprakash, Keith Wall, Kirk True,
Lianet Magrans, LinShunKang, Liu Zeyu, lixy, Lucas Bradstreet, Lucas
Brutschy, Lucent-Wong, Lucia Cerchie, Luke Chen, Manikumar Reddy,
Manyanda Chitimbo, Maros Orsak, Matthew de Detrich, Matthias J. Sax,
maulin-vasavada, Max Riedel, Mehari Beyene, Michal Cabak (@miccab),
Mickael Maison, Milind Mantri, minjian.cai, mojh7, Nikolay, Okada
Haruki, Omnia G H Ibrahim, Owen Leung, Philip Nee, prasanthV, Proven
Provenzano, Purshotam Chauhan, Qichao Chu, Rajini Sivaram, Randall
Hauch, Renaldo Baur Filho, Ritika Reddy, Rittika Adhikari, Rohan, Ron
Dagostino, Sagar Rao, Said Boudjelda, Sambhav Jain, Satish Duggana,
sciclon2, Shekhar Rajak, Sungyun Hur, Sushant Mahajan, Tanay
Karmarkar, tison, Tom Bentley, vamossagar12, Victoria Xia, Vincent
Jiang, vveicc, Walker Carlson, Yash Mayya, Yi-Sheng Lien, Ziming Deng,
蓝士钦

We welcome your help and feedback. For more information on how to
report problems, and to get involved, visit the project website at
https://kafka.apache.org/

Thank you!

Regards,
Satish Duggana

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Kafka 3.6.0

Posted by Luke Chen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for noticing that.
There's already a PR opened for this issue (thanks, Federico!):
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/14534

Thank you.
Luke

Posted by "Ryan Leslie (BLP/ NEW YORK (REMOT)" <rl...@bloomberg.net>.

From: users@kafka.apache.org At: 10/12/23 11:16:20 UTC-4:00To:  dev@kafka.apache.org
Cc:  users@kafka.apache.org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Kafka 3.6.0

Posted by Ismael Juma <me...@ismaeljuma.com>.

Posted by Chris Egerton <fe...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Satish for all your hard work as release manager, and thanks to
everyone else for their contributions!

Posted by Chris Egerton <fe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Divij Vaidya <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Viktor Somogyi-Vass <vi...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Bruno Cadonna <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Satish Duggana <sa...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to clarify calling out 3.6.0 as a minor release.

We use semantic versioning*(Major.Minor.Patch) in Apache Kafka
releases. Releases like 3.5.0 or 3.6.0 are called minor releases
according to the semantic versioning. The next major release will be
4.0.0.

3.6.0 release is packed with big features and improvements as
mentioned in the blog post[1], and release notes[2], even though it is
called a minor release :)

1. https://kafka.apache.org/blog
2. https://downloads.apache.org/kafka/3.6.0/RELEASE_NOTES.html
* https://semver.org/