Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/26 17:26:27 UTC

[THOUGHT] WebAdmin with JSF + AJAX

I have been thinking about this. Would it be a good idea to port
WebAdmin to a more commonly known MVC framework like JSF?

We could embed an HttpServer using apache commons Http which could
service web requests.

The benefits I see here are
1. Standard framework which becomes easier to maintain and add more features to
2. Standard out of the box GUI components which could be dropped into
the web interface
3. Availability of more powerful and complex GUI components , e.g.
myfaces.apache.org
4. Easier/Faster for other contributors to jump in and provide
enhancements (no steep learning curve)
5. Can be AJAX'ed easily through libraries like ajax4jsf etc.

What do you think?

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: [THOUGHT] WebAdmin with JSF + AJAX

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
Another thought which I forgot was to probably give different options
in openejb standalone. For example, one could download openejb
standalone which has web admin.
Or one could also download openejb standalone which is bundled with
tomcat and has a web admin based on portlets+jsf+ajax . This would be
a bigger binary, but its going to be totally optional for the user.

Or we could simply ship webadmin separately which could be bundled
with tomcat as a separate download and make it pluggable into openejb,
i.e. it would possibly be a jar which the user needs to drop in the
lib directory of openejb standalone ... something like that. maybe we
could then add Mohammad's and Manu's ideas to web admin

I have not put too much thought behind the above, but thought maybe
these options might lead to some more ideas ;)

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
Exactly what I was thinking. Was thinking of using Dojo. Pretty cool
stuff one can create with it.

Posted by Manu George <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
I can look into it and let you know .

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: [THOUGHT] WebAdmin with JSF + AJAX

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Actually it is not my idea, I knew from the Geronimo project, so you have to
thank them not me :D .

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: [THOUGHT] WebAdmin with JSF + AJAX

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Karan...

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: [THOUGHT] WebAdmin with JSF + AJAX

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
> Gr8 so we are agree on what we need and how to do it, but who will do it ...
> :D just kidding, I like it and I want to join it.

What about the boss? Does he agree? ;)

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
On 8/30/07, Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > 1- Do we have to use JSP or Portlets just because we wan to to use them,
> or
> > we just need to provide good looking dynamic WebAdmin for OpenEJB, we
> > started to think of the technology before we see what we really need
> Thats a good one ;) . I think of it is "there is already something
> available which can allow you to do a lot more and a lot faster ". So
> JSF gives me the ability to build GUI rapidly, which is what we need
> for WebAdming (GUI). Portlets give me layout and common look and feel
> capabilities and other stuff. Allows me to "drop in" functionality at
> the correct location without affecting anything else on the page.
> Something like "Oh, I wish I could configure xyz on the server through
> web admin, or I wish I could customize the way i look at log files
> through webadmin" could be created and plugged in independently by a
> developer.
> This also allows somebody who just wants to add  functionality on
> their own instance of web admin in a standard way. For example, if i
> created a cool portlet for my web admin, I can easily plugin into
> webadmin without knowing anything about the current webadmin
> framework. Later I realize that my portlet could be useful for the
> community as a whole, I can simply submit the code to OpenEJB and we
> can drop it into web admin.
> >
> > 2- If we really need to use any of these technologies, we can search for
> > smaller Engines which provide the main functionality,
> I think, For JSP support we could use Jasper to compile jsp's
>
> > sure - of Jetty, and we can provide OpenEJB we Jetty only to serve the
> > WebAdmin, or we can do as Karan suggested before to have OpenEJB distro
> > already bundled with Tomcat and/or Jetty .
> Yes, ship the standalone version without webadmin and tomcat version
> would have webadmin. People can pick and choose the distro depending
> on what features they need

Gr8 so we are agree on what we need and how to do it, but who will do it ...
:D just kidding, I like it and I want to join it.

Manu did u start doing anything in this ???

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: [THOUGHT] WebAdmin with JSF + AJAX

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Aug 30, 2007, at 4:57 AM, Karan Malhi wrote:

>> sure - of Jetty, and we can provide OpenEJB we Jetty only to serve
>> the
>> WebAdmin, or we can do as Karan suggested before to have OpenEJB
>> distro
>> already bundled with Tomcat and/or Jetty .
> Yes, ship the standalone version without webadmin and tomcat version
> would have webadmin. People can pick and choose the distro depending
> on what features they need

I'd be game for providing a much better (maybe completely different)
webadmin with a tomcat integration, just as long as I can still keep
playing around with the little ejb-driven http stuff we have :)

Actually, in terms of tomcat, I wonder if there's a way to get
ourselves into their admin console?  Then users would just have to
deal with one.  Not sure that's even remotely possible though....

-David

Re: [THOUGHT] WebAdmin with JSF + AJAX

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Raj,

This is great information!!

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Aug 30, 2007, at 5:13 AM, Raj Saini wrote:

> However, it would be nice to provide the standalone web application
> which users can deploy inside their application. For example, I
> embed ActiveMQ in one of my web application. Earlier I was forced
> to use the embedded Jetty (i.e. running a servlet (Jetty) container
> inside another contain (Tomcat). Standalone web application should
> be deployable in any servlet container.

The HttpRequest and HttpResponse interfaces we have in use so far
have jetty and servlet (tomcat) implementations in Geronimo -- I
copied the interfaces over to do the webservices support which is
also http bound.  So if we wanted we could use things written against
them in our little web server, jetty or tomcat.

Course none of the MVC frameworks out there user our little
interfaces, so it might not be where we want to go for GUI stuff.

-David

Re: [THOUGHT] WebAdmin with JSF + AJAX

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
I think what u r talking about is the Pluto Portal Driver, remember that
Pluto is only a portlet container not a portal server.

Here is what I think, we have our WebAdmin developed usign Portlets/JSP/AJAX
- any mix of them - and we can provide different alternatives to users:

1- Have the WebAdmin alone and they install it on any WebContainer which
supports these technologies, and we can provide documentational instructions
on how to use and setup this WebAdmin on a number of different WebContainers
.

2- Have OpenEJB bundled with Tomcat/Jetty - and we are going to use them in
the embedded mode only, I don't think we should bundle the whole Tomcat/Jett
WebContainers with OpenEJB .

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: [THOUGHT] WebAdmin with JSF + AJAX

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
AFAIK, Pluto release contains bundled Tomcat Server. However, it should
not be difficult to deploy them in any other servlet container.
Geronimo supports both Jetty and Tomcat container though I did not check
it recently.

Raj

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Well from this whole discussion, I came out with two main questions:

1- Do we have to use JSP or Portlets just because we wan to to use them, or
we just need to provide good looking dynamic WebAdmin for OpenEJB, we
started to think of the technology before we see what we really need, for
example Paulo suggested another technology which does not need any
Servlet/JSP/Portlet engine .

2- If we really need to use any of these technologies, we can search for
smaller Engines which provide the main functionality, I think - but I am not

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: [THOUGHT] WebAdmin with JSF + AJAX

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Paulo Lopes <pm...@scratchydreams.com>.
Hi,

If you're looking for a simple AJAX library and optionally some MVC
"framework" that will run without a Servlet container I might suggest
a project I started one year ago (https://rajax.dev.java.net). There
is an article on java.net about its usage:
http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2007/06/21/almost-cpu-free-mvc-pattern-with-rajax.html

If you use it, it can be easily extended with a dispatcher
implementation for the http server that is already on the openejb
server and run without any extra servlet/etc... containers.

Cheers,
Paulo

--
Paulo Lopes
www.scratchydreams.com

Re: [THOUGHT] WebAdmin with JSF + AJAX

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Aug 26, 2007, at 8:26 AM, Karan Malhi wrote:

> I have been thinking about this. Would it be a good idea to port
> WebAdmin to a more commonly known MVC framework like JSF?
>
> We could embed an HttpServer using apache commons Http which could
> service web requests.
>
> The benefits I see here are
> 1. Standard framework which becomes easier to maintain and add more
> features to
> 2. Standard out of the box GUI components which could be dropped into
> the web interface
> 3. Availability of more powerful and complex GUI components , e.g.
> myfaces.apache.org
> 4. Easier/Faster for other contributors to jump in and provide
> enhancements (no steep learning curve)
> 5. Can be AJAX'ed easily through libraries like ajax4jsf etc.
>
> What do you think?

Is it possible to support JSF without a full servlet container, jsp
enginge, and tag libs support?

We have an small httpserver already and we could do some ajax stuff.
Not too ajax-savvy myself, but it sounds neat.

-David