Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/26 14:57:15 UTC

Automatic formatting of Java code

Hello,

As part of the changes for the upcoming 1.9.0 version. We introduced
automatic code formatting for the Java codebase by relying on a maven
plugin called Spotless that we can use to enforce and auto format new
contributions by relying in an Eclipse Java code formatter [2].

Contributors can configure the formatter in their favorite IDE, but
the easiest way is to rely in the maven plugin from the command line
tool. You can find more details in how to use it to prepare your
PRs/patches in the "How to contribution" webpage [3].

As a consequence of this change being merged today various PRs need to
be updated / rebased. So if you have something pending or if you are
working on a new contribution please pay attention to this.

Sorry for the inconvenience and hope you find this new approch to code
formatting useful.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-2353
[2] https://github.com/apache/avro/blob/master/lang/java/eclipse-java-formatter.xml
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AVRO/How+To+Contribute

Re: Automatic formatting of Java code

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.
Thanks Ismaël for taking the effort to get this in. This will add some
additional work now, but it will make it easier in the long run because we
will have less merge conflicts.