Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bob DeRemer <bo...@thingworx.com> on 2013/09/09 22:46:23 UTC

solution - RE: how to access HTTP response from jsr-356 ServerEndpointConfig.Configurator.modifyHandshake?

After looking at the options available and going through the websocket protocol specification again, I've found a better solution for authenticating using a JSR-356 implementation than the original concept of using ServerEndpointConfig.Configurator.modifyHandshake.  The new approach still uses custom Client and Server EndpointConfig/Configurator instances to pass security information during the handshake, but instead of rejecting the handshake, it's cleaner to grab the security information in the OnOpen (from the ServerEndpointConfig) of the actual endpoint.  At this point, simply perform whatever AAA you wish - calling close with an appropriate CloseReason if AAA fails.

With regard to DOS and opening websocket connections:

The websocket protocol already prohibits multiple clients from being in the connecting/handshake phase at once, which already helps reduce the DOS surface area.  In addition, the client and/or server side implementations can add additional logic to prohibit the number of concurrent connections from the same client endpoint based on configuration.

And, yes, once I get it done and tested, I'll write this up.

-bob

RE: solution - RE: how to access HTTP response from jsr-356 ServerEndpointConfig.Configurator.modifyHandshake?

Posted by Bob DeRemer <bo...@thingworx.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: solution - RE: how to access HTTP response from jsr-356 ServerEndpointConfig.Configurator.modifyHandshake?

Posted by Bob DeRemer <bo...@thingworx.com>.

It appears I can call addFilter dynamically when my webapp starts up and front-end the websocket endpoint with a Filter - processing the initial HTTP request completely before any websocket communication is involved

Thanks for causing me to pull up from the weeds and look at this from another angle!

-bob

RE: solution - RE: how to access HTTP response from jsr-356 ServerEndpointConfig.Configurator.modifyHandshake?

Posted by Bob DeRemer <bo...@thingworx.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.