Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andrew Harvey <he...@hotmail.co.uk> on 2009/12/14 13:26:50 UTC

Why does only one server.xml

I'm loadbalancing my tomcat 5.5.27 servers and have discovered that if I put the following line

The advised server.xml line
<Context distributable="true" > </Context>
is causing the following fatal server errors

SEVERE: createMBeans: Throwable
SEVERE: Error starting static Resources
SEVERE: Error in resourceStart()
SEVERE: Exception handling Container property change
SEVERE: Error filterStart
SEVERE: Context [/servlets-examples] startup failed due to previous errors
[...]

Have more than one Hotmail account? Link them together to easily access both
 http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/186394591/direct/01/

Re: Why does only one server.xml Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 14/12/2009 12:26, Andrew Harvey wrote:

> I'm loadbalancing my tomcat 5.5.27 servers and have discovered that if I put the following line
>
> The advised server.xml line
> <Context distributable="true">  </Context>
> is causing the following fatal server errors

(We don't advise putting Context definitions in server.xml.)
Where exactly are you putting it?

Re: Why does only one server.xml Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 14/12/2009 14:56, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Andrew Harvey [mailto:hemispheric-verse@hotmail.co.uk]
>> Subject: Why does only one server.xml <Context causing failure
>>
>> The advised server.xml line
>> <Context distributable="true" > </Context>
>> is causing the following fatal server errors
>
> If you blindly threw the above line into server.xml, I'm surprised Tomcat started at all, since it's a completely invalid use of <Context>.  If you added the distributable attribute to the global <Context> in conf/context.xml, you will also have problems, since few if any of the webapps that come with Tomcat are designed to function in a clustered environment.
>
> You need to add the distributable attribute to the <Context> elements of *just* the webapps that are to be used in a clustered fashion; clearly, servlets-examples isn't one of those.

Whilst setting this on a Context element should work, is there any
reason you are setting this in a web.xml file where is is normally set?

Mark

RE: Why does only one server.xml Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Andrew Harvey [mailto:hemispheric-verse@hotmail.co.uk]
> Subject: Why does only one server.xml <Context causing failure
>
> The advised server.xml line
> <Context distributable="true" > </Context>
> is causing the following fatal server errors

If you blindly threw the above line into server.xml, I'm surprised Tomcat started at all, since it's a completely invalid use of <Context>.  If you added the distributable attribute to the global <Context> in conf/context.xml, you will also have problems, since few if any of the webapps that come with Tomcat are designed to function in a clustered environment.

You need to add the distributable attribute to the <Context> elements of *just* the webapps that are to be used in a clustered fashion; clearly, servlets-examples isn't one of those.

"Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this!"

"So stop doing it."

And don't put *any* <Context> elements in server.xml; put them where they belong.

 - Chuck