Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com> on 2017/11/09 05:35:51 UTC

Maven resolver branch consolidation

Hi all,

I have started and made good progress on getting Maven resolver all into the master branch instead of having master, demos and ant-tasks in separate branches.

Details are tracked in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRESOLVER-28

All of it is now in a new branch called master-all for you to see.

I am now wondering what the next steps are. I added what I think should happen next in the issue in a comment and would appreciate any input on the current setup and next steps.

Any help would be appreciated.

manfred

Re: Maven resolver branch consolidation

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Hi,

I like the idea of simplification: I just factorized mavenVersion property to
parent pom.

I have only one fear: what happens when the API changes in an incompatible way
then we must release maven-artifact-resolver, then maven-resolver provider,
then ant-tasks and demos.

AFAIK, this chicken and egg issue is exactly why everything was released in 3
independent components (with associated complexity that I'd like also to
remove)

What about creating a "withMavenProvider" module where we could put ant tasks
and demos, which would define the mavenVersion property?
In case of such breaking change, we would just have to skip this module (and
its sub-modules) for the API breaking release, then once the new compatible
Maven provider is released, we could continue "the simple way"

this would give us the benefit of being simple in general, and have just
something a little more complex in special incompatible cases.
Here, it would be "bizarre", since would bring a partial release for artifact
resolver.

Another "bizarre effect" of this way of releasing is:
Artifact Resolver 1.1.1 will provide Ant Tasks and demos using Maven Resolver
Provider 3.5.0, but Maven Resolver Provider 3.5.3 (or 3.6.0 or 4.0.0) will be
the first using Artifact Resolver 1.1.1

Perhaps there is another simplification idea that would avoid this issue:
- merge demos in artifact resolver master, since demos are never really
released
- let Ant Tasks in an independent branch (or component one day)

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
let's start with demos: this one is really a great idea

on ant-tasks, I hope my new explanations make the issue more clear

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
attachment removed by mailing list

I put it in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/POM+Model+Version+5.0.0?
focusedCommentId=74687410&refresh=1510912447661#comment-74687410

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
[...]

Le jeudi 16 novembre 2017, 18:13:15 CET Manfred Moser a �crit :

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
this won't work: you'll be able to fool the compiler, but not maven-shade-
plugin when it builds the full jar with runtime dependencies

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.
Hahah ... what a pain. Since so at this stage I think I will move the demos into the master and leave the ant tasks as they stand and
close the relevant tickets with remarks that details this situation.

Manfred

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Thu 16 Nov 2017 at 07:51, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> I just pushed an update of dependencies image that shows the external
> maven-
> resolver-provider (in yellow) inside the reactor dependency graph (in blue)
>
> That shows the chicken and egg issue on releasing we'll have on API
> breaking
> change. People always building from source (like Debian) will have the
> issue
> also.
>
> For demos, which are not really published during the release (just as
> documentation), disabling the module in the build when necessary is
> sufficient,
> won't change many things. For ant tasks, disabling the module will not
> publish
> the artifact: this will have a visible impact.

Should we just bite the bullet and bring resolver in-tree as modules in
maven core... leaving demos and ant tasks here?

> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le mercredi 15 novembre 2017, 23:05:14 CET Hervé BOUTEMY a écrit :
> > it seems I have not been clear: I'll try to explain better
> >
> > 1. maven-resolver-ant-tasks depends on maven-resolver-provider (from
> Maven
> > core)
> > 2. maven-resolver-provider (then Maven core) depends on maven-resolver
> >
> > if we put maven-resolver-ant-tasks in the same reactor than
> maven-resolver,
> > we can't release any maven-resolver API change that breaks
> maven-resolver-
> > provider
> >
> > example: if we move maven-resolver code to org.apache.maven java package
> in
> > maven-resolver 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT, we need maven-resolver-provider
> > 4.0.0-SNAPSHOT that uses maven-resolver 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT with this new java
> > package. Then try to release anything: you can't, unless you don't try to
> > release maven- resolver-ant-tasks
> >
> > (the consequence on version consistency is another way to describe the
> > issue, but that is more subtle, then I chose to describe the most visible
> > issue, with API breaking change)
> >
> > IMHO, another consequence could be: maven-resolver-ant-tasks would
> perhaps
> > better be versionned like maven-resolver-provider
> >

> > Merging resolver-demos is really the great big idea: with that merge,
> > modifying maven-rresolver can immediately be tested with demos: that'll
> be
> > so much easier to make changes to maven-resolver code!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > Le mercredi 15 novembre 2017, 09:02:12 CET Michael Osipov a écrit :
> > > Why -1 on the Ant tasks?

> input

Sent from my phone

Re: Maven resolver branch consolidation

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.
All done on the ant-tasks migration now as well.

Next would be a release of the ant-tasks for which I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRESOLVER-37

Imho we should do that but I don't know what is involved and wont be able to work on it until some time in January.

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.
All done on demos including cleanup and closing the issue.

For the ant tasks everything is ready in the new repo. If someone could set up the CI jenkins build that would be good.

Once we are happy I can delete the branch in the old repo.

And I think we also have to cut a release of the ant tasks. Not sure what it takes to do that.. the codebase seems ready from my point of view..

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
please look at what I did in Doxia or skins: I chose to point to gitbox for
connection and developerConnection and github for url
that's only a convention in our pom.xml: but gitbox and github work

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Hervé might know... could be self-service on gitbox!

I have two repos to create after the Jenkins Server is upgraded on Sunday,
so let me know the process

On Thu 23 Nov 2017 at 16:13, Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com> wrote:

> So how do I make this repo copy happen? An infra ticket or something like
> that?
>
> Stephen Connolly wrote on 2017-11-22 23:53:
>
> > On Thu 23 Nov 2017 at 04:20, Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Status update and questions:
> >>
> >> - demos are all now in master and part of the multi module build
> >> - no changes on the ant tasks for now
> >>
> >> Questions:
> >>
> >> 1. Can I delete the demos branch now or do we wait until next release? I
> >> would prefer to delete the branch and close the ticket to be honest.
> >>
> >> 2. I like the idea of promoting the ant task from being hidden in the
> >> branch into their own repo. All we would have to do is to copy the
> existing
> >> repo somehow into a new repo in apache git. Then we can dDelete all the
> >> branches apart from the ant-task branch and make that the master. Done.
> >> am happy to do that in terms of the branches and so on but how do I go
> >> about getting the repo copied into a new repo named
> >> maven-resolver-ant-tasks?
> >

> > I like that solution too
> >

> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Manfred

> >> --
> > Sent from my phone

Sent from my phone

Re: Maven resolver branch consolidation

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Thu 23 Nov 2017 at 04:20, Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com> wrote:

> Status update and questions:
>
> - demos are all now in master and part of the multi module build
> - no changes on the ant tasks for now
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Can I delete the demos branch now or do we wait until next release? I
> would prefer to delete the branch and close the ticket to be honest.
>
> 2. I like the idea of promoting the ant task from being hidden in the
> branch into their own repo. All we would have to do is to copy the existing
> repo somehow into a new repo in apache git. Then we can dDelete all the
> branches apart from the ant-task branch and make that the master. Done. I
> am happy to do that in terms of the branches and so on but how do I go
> about getting the repo copied into a new repo named
> maven-resolver-ant-tasks?

I like that solution too

> Thanks
>
> Manfred

Sent from my phone

Re: Maven resolver branch consolidation

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.
Status update and questions:

- demos are all now in master and part of the multi module build
- no changes on the ant tasks for now

Questions:

1. Can I delete the demos branch now or do we wait until next release? I would prefer to delete the branch and close the ticket to be honest.

2. I like the idea of promoting the ant task from being hidden in the branch into their own repo. All we would have to do is to copy the existing repo somehow into a new repo in apache git. Then we can dDelete all the branches apart from the ant-task branch and make that the master. Done. I am happy to do that in terms of the branches and so on but how do I go about getting the repo copied into a new repo named maven-resolver-ant-tasks?

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2017-11-15 um 23:05 schrieb Hervé BOUTEMY:
> it seems I have not been clear: I'll try to explain better
>
> 1. maven-resolver-ant-tasks depends on maven-resolver-provider (from Maven
> core)
> 2. maven-resolver-provider (then Maven core) depends on maven-resolver
>
> if we put maven-resolver-ant-tasks in the same reactor than maven-resolver, we
> can't release any maven-resolver API change that breaks maven-resolver-

Very good, leave it out. Move it to a separate repo.

Re: Maven resolver branch consolidation

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
it seems I have not been clear: I'll try to explain better

1. maven-resolver-ant-tasks depends on maven-resolver-provider (from Maven
core)
2. maven-resolver-provider (then Maven core) depends on maven-resolver

if we put maven-resolver-ant-tasks in the same reactor than maven-resolver, we
can't release any maven-resolver API change that breaks maven-resolver-
provider

example: if we move maven-resolver code to org.apache.maven java package in
maven-resolver 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT, we need maven-resolver-provider 4.0.0-SNAPSHOT
that uses maven-resolver 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT with this new java package. Then try
to release anything: you can't, unless you don't try to release maven-

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Why -1 on the Ant tasks?

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.