Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Garret Wilson <ga...@globalmentor.com> on 2014/11/13 22:36:21 UTC

clearing feedback messages on Ajax upload

Hi, all. I've done a bit of searching to find the answer, and nothing
quite seemed to fit, or was obsolete, or was deprecated, or was vague.
So I'll ask on the list.

I have a page that uses a multipart form submit. It allows the user to
select a file, and has an AjaxSubmitLink with the label "Go" that 1)
uploads a large file and then 2) does something that takes a long time.
When finished, it calls info("finished!") to show a success message in
the feedback area.

So let's suppose that the user selects a file and selects "Go". After
the file is uploaded, the processing takes place and the feedback area
says "finished!" Perfect.

Question: If the user selects /another/ file and selects "Go" /again/,
how can I immediately remove the "finished!" message, either A) as soon
as the user selects "Go" or B) as soon as the file finishes uploading
but before processeing starts? (I greatly prefer option B.)

Thanks,

Garret

Re: clearing feedback messages on Ajax upload

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 1:47 AM, Garret Wilson <ga...@globalmentor.com>
wrote:

> Martin, after fixing the ID selector ("#id7") it works great! (The page
> jumps up because the feedback area disappears, but I can live with that for
> now.) It even

How is your CSS ? ;-)
Instead of $('#id7').empty() you can use $('#id7').css('visibility',
'hidden') or $('#id7').css('opacity', 0) to hide the HTML element but keep
its visual space, so it won't jump.

> works in conjunction with Sven Meier's confirmation message button <
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/X4U>.
>
> Very nice. Thank you very much, Martin!
>
> I really recommend that Wicket add some prebuilt behaviors. There should
> be some sort of Ajax "clear component" behavior, and some "Ajax
> confirmation" behavior, etc. This is so that we can get hard-coded, manual
> JavaScript out of our code, and start developing in terms of
> semantically-named prebuilt classes rather than coding JavaScript
> boilerplate. Now I know that the Ajax core team hate this idea, because
> they say, 1) "Wicket is so easy that you can just add in whatever you want;
> we don't need to encapsulate this in a class", and 2) "there are so many
> different ways people want to do it, we don't even want to include one or
> two of them in the Wicket library". I don't want to start that argument
> here; I'll write an essay about it another day.

Looking forward to your essay! ;-)
I've shown you three ways to "hide" an HTML element so far. None of them
are good enough for userX because (s)he wants to do that with CSS effects
(fadeOut, easeOut, with rotation, with skew, ...)
I hope you understand we cannot add all this in the library.
It is simple enough so every application developer can write the JS
one-liner to accomplish the task.

Hint:
A clever way would be to set a CSS class to the element you want to hide.
This way the designer (the CSS expert) can do all of the above without
bothering you (the Java developer) every time the requirement changes.

$('#id7').addClass('someClass')

Posted by Garret Wilson <ga...@globalmentor.com>.
Martin, after fixing the ID selector ("#id7") it works great! (The page
jumps up because the feedback area disappears, but I can live with that
for now.) It even works in conjunction with Sven Meier's confirmation

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Garret Wilson <ga...@globalmentor.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,