Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joseph Polanik <jp...@mindspring.com> on 2000/07/23 17:29:18 UTC

Tomcat3.1 & jdk1.3?

When I start Tomcat3.1 (using Win98 & Sun's jdk1.3) I get this error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError C:\JavaPackages\jakarta-tomcat

I've got the webserver, jasper, servlet and xml .jar files in my classpath as well as Tomcat_home and Tomcat_home\classes.

Any suggestions?

Joseph Polanik, jpolanik@mindspring.com
Trionic Research Institute, http://www.trionica.com

RE: Tomcat3.1 & jdk1.3?

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
Hi Joseph,

I've never seen this particular error before, but it looks similar to when
you're trying to run a Java program from the command-line and its not in
your CLASSPATH.  Like if you're trying to run something with a main() that's
in a package, but that package isn't in your CLASSPATH.

Are you using the startup bat file?

I would double-check your CLASSPATH for typos or a missing semicolon or
something.  Here's my CLASSPATH from an old nightly build of Tomcat 3.2:

.:/users/tomcat/lib/ant.jar:/users/tomcat/lib/jasper.jar:/users/tomcat/lib/j
axp.jar:/users/tomcat/lib/parser.jar:/users/tomcat/lib/servlet.jar:/users/to
mcat/lib/test:/users/tomcat/lib/webserver.jar:/usr/local/jdk1.2.2/lib/tools.
jar:/usr/local/jdk1.2.2/lib/postgresql.jar:.

HTH!

- r