Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Özhan Rüzgar Karaman <or...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/28 15:10:37 UTC

Calculating vm network usage

Hi;
We plan to monthly calculate vm network usage on ACS 4.8, normally we plan
to use CloudStack vm statistics, via api(listvirtualmachines) but today we
realised that when you restart CloudStack management server, the current
values are reset, so you loose all the values before management server
restart.

So is this behaviour normal that when you restart management server you
loose all the values there. So i like to understand if this a bug or if
this is a normal behaviour of ACS. My ACS also has usage server working
over it.

Thanks for all replies

Özhan

Re: Calculating vm network usage

Posted by Özhan Rüzgar Karaman <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi Somesh;
We made some tests with usage db and usage db responds usage in hours, are
there any way to get usage in total read_kbs and write_kbs? Do you have any
details?

Also alternative solution is integrating ACS with Graphite solution, but we
made some tests to compare ACS listvirtualmachines api output with
Graphite's network read/write output and we noticed that their output could
change in some point but we did not aware that when you restart management
server, CloudStack's vm statistics resets :)

So are there any people on list who are using Graphite successfully to
calculate vm network values??

Thanks
Özhan