Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Alejandro Lopez Rama(correos)" <al...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/31 02:40:22 UTC

Less Checkout

I'm testing SVN to see if it fit our version control needs. One doubt i have
is that each developer needs to have all the files of the project checked
out in order to work.
It is correct? What we want is to check out only the sources to modify, and
have a directory available with the last version of each source. This is
especially important for compiling reasons, because we need to have the
legal version of each include during the compilation process (when we saw
SourceSafe, it had an option called "Shadow Folders", which leaves a copy of
each file checked-in)

It is possible to work in that way with SVN?

Thanks
Alejandro Lopez Rama
Distribution Project Manager
Danone Argentina S.A.

Re: Less Checkout

Posted by Didier Trosset <di...@agilent.com>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2008, at 21:40, Alejandro Lopez Rama(correos) wrote:
>
>> I'm testing SVN to see if it fit our version control needs. One doubt
>> i have is that each developer needs to have all the files of the
>> project checked out in order to work.
>> It is correct?

Each developer can get a copy of files of the project on a per-directory
basis (not file by file). This means that each developer can get a copy of
the directory of the projects he/she is interested in to work on. Commits
can be done on a per file basis though.

>> What we want is to check out only the sources to
>> modify, and have a directory available with the last version of each
>> source. This is especially important for compiling reasons, because we
>> need to have the legal version of each include during the compilation
>> process (when we saw SourceSafe, it had an option called "Shadow
>> Folders", which leaves a copy of each file checked-in)

Warning about words:

   SVN checkout = SS Get Latest Version
   SVN update   = SS Get Latest Version
   SVN lock     = SS Check Out
   SVN commit   = SS Check In  (IIRC)

>> It is possible to work in that way with SVN?

Regarding the shadow folder, this a not a feature of Subversion per se. But
it is as easy as a single line to add into the hook scripts of the
repository server. This shadow folder will then be updated after each commit.

> I'm not sure I understand the question, and I haven't used SourceSafe or
> any other revision control system other than Subversion, but perhaps I
> should clarify that in Subversion, "check out" does not mean "check out,
> so that nobody else can it check out"; rather, it means "get a copy, and
> anybody else can also get a copy at the same time." As you say, each
> developer should "check out" a working copy (that is "get a copy") of
> the project they're working on. They modify files and commit changes as
> they need to. Developers use "svn update" often to retrieve others'
> changes. Does that answer your concern? Have you already read the book
> available for free online at http://svnbook.org/ ?

Didier Trosset-Moreau
Acqiris Operations
Agilent Technologies