Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/07 20:28:08 UTC

[IMPORTANT] No More Externals in the TLD's

>From earlier discussions we are all pretty much in agreement that we
should eliminate externals whenever possible.  The single exception is
the very helpful "current" external.  That just points to the trunk of
the relevant projects and its not affected by branches/tags or reorgs.

We have removed the externals from the build dir (thanks to Maven) and
now I have removed them in the TLD case.  Here's what we had before:

sandbox/src/main/tld/entities-share --> impl/src/main/tld/entitites
sandbox/src/main/tld/misc --> impl/src/main/tld/misc
tomahawk/src/main/tld/entities-share --> impl/src/main/tld/entitites
tomahawk/src/main/tld/misc --> impl/src/main/tld/misc

I have replaced the externals with straight svn copies (including
history.)  Now that api/impl and tomahawk can be on separate release
paths, this really makes it necessary to drop the externals.

The added bonus of this is that you cannot accidentally screw up an
implementation tag by adding something to a shared entitity.  In
reality we don't change the impl entities anymore anyways.  That
leaves tomahawk and sandbox.  So when promoting from sandbox we move
the entities (manually) at the same time as we svn move the new
component from sandbox.

These are easily restored if we don't like the way its working.  I
think the externals (other then current) are causing way more problems
then this solution will ultimately cause us.

Thoughts?

Sean

Re: [IMPORTANT] No More Externals in the TLD's

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Do a brand new checkout of current.  You should be good to go.  Rest
of externals are gone.  Maven builds are still a work in progress but
Bernd and I are making quick work of them.

Sean

Posted by Mathias Brökelmann <mb...@googlemail.com>.

--
Mathias