Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Robert Leonard <RL...@Opto22.com> on 2004/08/11 19:21:43 UTC

SA Users whitelisting/Bayes question

Many of the emails coming to me from the SA and SURBL discussions are being
tagged as spam by SA.. What is the best way to whitelist these groups, and
secondly, is there a way to prevent the Bayes system from learning from them
(I use autolearn)..

Thanks!

Re: SA Users whitelisting/Bayes question

Posted by Steven Dickenson <st...@mrchuckles.net>.
>> Robert Leonard <RL...@Opto22.com> writes:
>> The best way is to not pass mail from these lists through
>> SpamAssassin. I use a procmail recipe which does not call
>> SpamAssassin (I actually use spamc) if the List-ID header matches.

all_spam_to spamassassin-users@incubator.apache.org

Works great here.

Steven
--
Steven Dickenson <st...@mrchuckles.net>
http://www.mrchuckles.net

Re: SA Users whitelisting/Bayes question

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.
On 11 Aug 2004, at 20:37, Graham Murray wrote:
> Robert Leonard <RL...@Opto22.com> writes:
>
>> Many of the emails coming to me from the SA and SURBL discussions are
>> being tagged as spam by SA.. What is the best way to whitelist these
>> groups, and secondly, is there a way to prevent the Bayes system from
>> learning from them (I use autolearn)..
>
> The best way is to not pass mail from these lists through
> SpamAssassin. I use a procmail recipe which does not call
> SpamAssassin (I actually use spamc) if the List-ID header matches.

I just threw 5 months worth of SA-users at sa-learn --ham and haven't
had problems since.  On very rare occasions I get 1 or 2 messages
mismatched, thought the way my filters work they get filtered into the
list mail anyway.

--
In England 100 miles is a long distance. In the US 100 years is a long
time

Re: SA Users whitelisting/Bayes question

Posted by Graham Murray <gr...@gmurray.org.uk>.

Posted by Ryan Thompson <ry...@sasknow.com>.
Robert Leonard wrote to spamassassin-users@incubator.apache.org:

> Many of the emails coming to me from the SA and SURBL discussions are
> being tagged as spam by SA.. What is the best way to whitelist these
> groups, and secondly, is there a way to prevent the Bayes system from
> learning from them (I use autolearn)..

Yes, there is. As others have suggested, you could move these with
procmail, but, you're right, you need to stop them from being
autolearned, and you need SA to do that, and whitelist at the same time.
Here's what I use:

whitelist_from_rcvd     spamassassin-*@incubator.apache.org     apache.org
bayes_ignore_from       spamassassin-*@incubator.apache.org

However, it's a maybe little easier (and perhaps more reliable) if you
have your list mail delivered to a different account. Then, you simply
need:

all_spam_to             spam_destination@yourdomain.com
bayes_ignore_to         spam_destination@yourdomain.com

Hope this helps,

- Ryan

--
   Ryan Thompson <ry...@sasknow.com>

         Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon

Re: SA Users whitelisting/Bayes question

Posted by Dougie Nisbet <do...@highmoor.co.uk>.
On Wednesday 11 August 2004 18:46, Bob McClure Jr wrote:

[ ... ]

> Depends on your system.  My mail is delivered by procmail, so I have a
> stanza in my .procmailrc that exclude SA list mail from SA scanning:
>
> # Don't let SA filter this traffic as it could poison the Bayes filter.
>
> :0:

I do something similar. When I installed Mailscanner a couple of weeks ago I
was in a bit of a quandry about whether to allow it to do the spamassassin
stuff too, but decided in the end to continue with my current procmail setup
because it allows the flexibility of selectively processing the incoming
mail. I let mailscanner deal entirely with virus scanning. I notice you use
the List-Id as your matching expression - I didn't know you could do that. It
looks slightly more elegant than  my stanza:

# I don't want spamassassin processing stuff to the
# spamassassin mailing  list.
:0
* ^TO_spamassassin-users@incubator.apache.org
! dougie

Re: SA Users whitelisting/Bayes question

Posted by Bob McClure Jr <ro...@earthlink.net>.
On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 10:21:43AM -0700, Robert Leonard wrote:
> Many of the emails coming to me from the SA and SURBL discussions are being
> tagged as spam by SA.. What is the best way to whitelist these groups, and
> secondly, is there a way to prevent the Bayes system from learning from them
> (I use autolearn)..
>
> Thanks!

Depends on your system.  My mail is delivered by procmail, so I have a
stanza in my .procmailrc that exclude SA list mail from SA scanning:

# Don't let SA filter this traffic as it could poison the Bayes filter.
:0:

:0fw
| spamc

# Any spam with 9 or more * will be summarily punted.
:0 H
/dev/null

# For testing the above
# $HOME/Mail/reallyspam