Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Mathias Röllig <mr...@gmx.net> on 2014/08/22 22:48:02 UTC

outdated sites

Hello!

The following sites seems not to be linked inside the OpenOffice online
presence, looked outdated but listed in search results:

http://www.openoffice.org/product/windows.html
http://www.openoffice.org/product/mac.html
http://www.openoffice.org/product/linux.html

http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_aoo40.html

I seem to remember that WinXP isn't supported furthermore. Is it?

Regards, Mathias

Re: outdated sites

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 22/08/2014 Mathias Röllig wrote:
> The following sites seems not to be linked inside the OpenOffice online
> presence, looked outdated but listed in search results:
> http://www.openoffice.org/product/windows.html
> http://www.openoffice.org/product/mac.html
> http://www.openoffice.org/product/linux.html

It is a problem we have with many pages (they are maybe not reachable
directly, but search engines see them and removing them too abruptly
could have bad effects in term of site ranking). I don't know what's
best to do in this case. Maybe we just redirect them to the system
requirements?

> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_aoo40.html
> I seem to remember that WinXP isn't supported furthermore. Is it?

I believe it is not supported by Microsoft, but still supported by
OpenOffice in the following sense: we still have a few testers who use
XP, and we won't deliberately break compatibility with XP (but testing
on XP is limited, so we can't be 100% sure to catch all possible
errors). If the moment comes when we realize that dropping XP support
would give us significant advantages, we'll have to assess how popular
XP still is at that time and decide. On 4.1 we still list XP:
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_aoo41.html

Regards,
   Andrea.