Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by ForumWebUser Sir <fo...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/30 01:43:15 UTC

NTLM authentication from an AIX machine?

Hello,

I was using HttpURLConnection from java to make rest request to a reporting
services installed in a windows machine with integrated authentication
(NTLM). This worked great when my aplication was running in a windows
machine. However, when my application is running in a AIX machine I get an
authorization error. As far as I understood, it seems that
the HttpURLConnection cant authenticate well in a non windows machine.

So, Im looking at apache.commons.httpclient... Is this library able to make
a NTLM authenticated post from an AIX machine to a windows machine? Do I
need to configure something in the AIX machine, like realms and that stuu,
or I just need to create an NTCredentials object and pass the credencials
in this object?

I have in my application version 3.0.1. Is this sufficient?

thank you,

fwu

Re: NTLM authentication from an AIX machine?

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 00:43 +0100, ForumWebUser Sir wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was using HttpURLConnection from java to make rest request to a reporting
> services installed in a windows machine with integrated authentication
> (NTLM). This worked great when my aplication was running in a windows
> machine. However, when my application is running in a AIX machine I get an
> authorization error. As far as I understood, it seems that
> the HttpURLConnection cant authenticate well in a non windows machine.
>
> So, Im looking at apache.commons.httpclient... Is this library able to make
> a NTLM authenticated post from an AIX machine to a windows machine?

Yes, it should be, as long as the target server is configured to allow
NTLMv1. For NTLMv2 support you will have to upgrade to HttpClient 4.1 or
newer.

>  Do I
> need to configure something in the AIX machine, like realms and that stuu,
> or I just need to create an NTCredentials object and pass the credencials
> in this object?

You need correct NT credentials only.

> I have in my application version 3.0.1. Is this sufficient?
>
> thank you,

The 3.x release series is the end of life and 3.x releases are no longer
supported. If you want better chances of getting help on this list you
should consider upgrading to HttpClient 4.2

Oleg