Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Eric Douglas <ed...@blockhouse.com> on 2011/01/20 16:04:14 UTC

FOP Memory

How do I know how much memory it needs?
I wrote a Java program which should generate a PDF of about 10 pages
using FOP 1.0 but with many xsl:text tags per page.
It runs in my 64 bit Eclipse on a Windows Vista machine with 4GB RAM.
It gets out of memory exception on my 32 bit Eclipse on a Windows XP
machine with 2GB RAM.
Both installs have default settings for jvm memory.
If I put in a tag to override allocated memory, how do I know how much I
need?

Re: FOP Memory

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
If you've installed the JDK (not just the JRE), you have a number of
tools in the "bin" directory of the JDK installation. With "jvisualvm"
or "jconsole" you can attach to a Java process and inspect the memory
consumption. But the values shown there may not be representative since
Java uses Garbage Collection. It may destroy objects much later than
expected if there's enough memory. So this is all a fuzzy story. If the
JVM spends a lot of time with garbage collection it's a clear indication
that a little more memory can't hurt. Anyway, this is usually
trial&error.

Note that by default, the JVM gets very little memory. It's always a
good idea to give it at least -Xmx128M which should be enough for many
cases. You said that you're rendering to bitmaps. That can increase the
memory consumption a bit.

On 20.01.2011 16:04:14 Eric Douglas wrote:
> How do I know how much memory it needs?
> I wrote a Java program which should generate a PDF of about 10 pages
> using FOP 1.0 but with many xsl:text tags per page.
> It runs in my 64 bit Eclipse on a Windows Vista machine with 4GB RAM.
> It gets out of memory exception on my 32 bit Eclipse on a Windows XP
> machine with 2GB RAM.
> Both installs have default settings for jvm memory.
> If I put in a tag to override allocated memory, how do I know how much I
> need?

Jeremias Maerki