Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Greg Griffin <na...@griffinhome.net> on 2007/06/04 09:39:50 UTC

Re: Are there any figures about ActiveMQ's scalability

I can give you an example from my experience. On a Windows XP, 3.0Ghz dual
core, 2GB RAM, with 4.1.1 java, and 2.0.1 CMS (C++ client)
    average 100 msg/sec with 1,000 topics. 3-4 producers with 6-7 consumers,
use no more than 2% of Cpu on the broker, and maybe 1% on each consumer or
producer. I've profiled the apps, and the publish and receive take up about
50% of the CPU time, so most of the timing above has to do with ActiveMQ,
not anything specific to my app.

I've been able to get about 5,000 msg/sec max on topics using one consumer
and one producer using all java, with 4 fields in a BytesMessage.

Have not dealt with queues.

Given the above, it would seem you would be fine with one broker, but
depends on the specs of your machine.

You can modify the example code quickly to get numbers more specific to your
setup.

Note that I do see some memory leak on the broker, mentioned in a forum
message just after yours:
http://www.nabble.com/broker-memory-leak-with-many-topics-tf3845795s2354.html
You can also see the example code in this message, to see how to deal with
multiple topics, and to reproduce the numbers mentioned above.