Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Rishabh Agrawal <ss...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/21 09:09:37 UTC

hadoop learning

Hello,

Please tell me where can i learn the concepts of Big Data and Hadoop from
the scratch. Please provide some links online.

Rishabh Agrawal

Re: hadoop learning

Posted by "Fabio C." <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rishabh,
I didn't know anything about Hadoop a few months ago, and I started from
the very beginning. I don't suggest you to start with online documentation,
that is always fragmented, incomplete and sometimes not even up to date.
Also starting by directly using Hadoop is the fastest way to frustration
and will just take you to abandon this technology.
I can suggest you two books I used to start with, and they have been quite
helpful for someone who didn't even know what mapreduce is. They provide
many examples and use cases (especially the first one):
- OReilly - "Hadoop The Definitive Guide 3rd Edition". This is quite old
but, other than the coding part, it could explain quite well what hadoop
is, what it does and how it works. It is mainly about old versions of
Hadoop, but I believe it's something you should know, even because most of
articles online still refer to the pre-YARN terminology.
-  Addison-Wesley Professional - "Apache Hadoop YARN: Moving beyond
MapReduce and Batch Processing with Apache Hadoop 2". This is what you I
used to really understand the new hadoop architecture and terminology.
Sometimes it gives too many details, but better more than less. It also has
a couple of chapters about installing Hadoop.

Good luck

Fabio

Re: hadoop learning

Posted by "Fabio C." <an...@gmail.com>.