Posted to recruitment@openoffice.apache.org by sandro <sa...@hotmail.com> on 2018/08/20 01:59:13 UTC

Volunteer

Hi,

My name is Sandro Suzart, I am student of arts and it is amazing to speak to you. I have read in the Open Office website that this team needs support and want volunteers, so I am mailing as I have been introduced.

How nice it is to find an exciting experience? It is certainly like a beautiful lake where the water is smooth, there you shall see the great sky mirrored and smile with passion, because then you have met the infinity.

I would like to know how may I contribute and also if Open Office may offer a certificate of the collaboration work, if there is such a thing I would appreciate (or if there is at least any form to present that joyful experience to my university or future jobs). It certainly is a great experience like a great river to sit by and delight.

Thank you,
Sandro Suzart

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Ok. Fine. We are doing this in our freetime. No one here receives money for their work here atm. So please chill a bit and give us time, too.
For votes we use a response time of 72h. Maybe that is a good time to start with too. :)

For starters you need a wiki account.
Just write that you want to work on the wiki and write a user name you want to have.

The next step would be to do something. But I have sadly no overview where you can start.

For information we have a document mailing list, but I do not know how active people become when you write there. Still write an introduction there and to the dev mailing list. The dev list is our main communication site. With 300 mails per month quite frequent.
The document list has much lower frequency.
So I would recommend to subscribe to both list.

If you have anything write here, I will try to take care.

All the best
Peter

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Ravi Kant <rk...@gmail.com>.

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.
Hi Ravi,

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Ravi Kant <rk...@gmail.com>.

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Peter Kovacs <le...@posteo.de>.
Hi Jack,

I see. Thank you a lot for your response. Did you manage to unsubscribe?

I would like to improve the situation for others that fail to connect to
the OpenOffice Development community. If you could spare some more time,
that would be wonderful.

The first time I learned that you were on the List was with your request
to unsubscribe on 28th of Aug. I could also not find any mails prior to
this one in our Archives.

I assume that you assumed that when you subscribe someone gets notified
and will welcome you, right?

Since this expectation is not full filled, because there is no general
notification it is very helpful to understand the steps you took prior
to subscription.

If you could help us by roughly describing which pages you have read
before you have subscribed would be very helpful.

In any case I whish you all the best in your new position. If you regain
Interest or time or want something fixed please simply write a mail to
this list, and we have a talk on how OpenOffice development works these
days.

All the best

Peter

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Jack Riley <jm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Peter Kovacs <le...@posteo.de>.
Hi Jack,

Re: Volunteer

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Jack Riley <jm...@gmail.com>.
Unsubscribe me from this email list!

Re: Volunteer

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <kn...@apache.org>.

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Stacie Porterfield <sp...@mormontrailcsd.org>.
unsubscribe

Re: Volunteer

Posted by sandro <sa...@hotmail.com>.
Ok, I did subscribe to the development list.

________________________________

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Volunteer

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Stacie Porterfield <sp...@mormontrailcsd.org>.
unsubscribe

Re: Re: Volunteer

Posted by sandro <sa...@hotmail.com>.
I have done that. Thanks.

________________________________

Re: Volunteer

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.
I am confused. Why would a student of Arts want an internship in Programming?
Do you need to fullfill some official regulations? Which ones?

To get started in Programming is not a quick thing. It depends on your will to get into this. If you need this for your study we would need to organize some fast track to get you started. (I.e. learning to handle our build environments takes some time..)

Yes what Andrea describes is in general possible.

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Volunteer

Posted by sandro <sa...@hotmail.com>.
Trust is wonderful, even thought the expectations are not met, also communication is a benefit such as a delight or a dynamic construction of something good that certainly will happen to us.

I would like to do programming tasks, it would be amazing like a ride in a bicycle or the contemplation a a girlfriend's face. I do have some knowledge of programming (mostly in PHP) and it would be nice to enhance such an amazing project.

I would like to know how the tasks work and how to deliver the work, is there a platform where I upload the code files? Or is it through this email?

Best,
Sandro Suzart

________________________________

Am 21. August 2018 15:30:49 MESZ schrieb sandro <sa...@hotmail.com>:
>Dear,
>
>It is nice to talk to you. In the page:"
>https://openoffice.apache.org/students.html" it says that I could
Advice for Students - Apache OpenOffice™ - Project Website<https://openoffice.apache.org/students.html>
openoffice.apache.org
Advice for Students. As a well-known open source project, we get many requests each semester from students interested in volunteering with us. Often it is a requirement for a course that they contribute to an open source project or demonstrate some specific skill or knowledge in a real-world context.

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.
Hi Sandro,

Re: Volunteer

Posted by sandro <sa...@hotmail.com>.
Dear,

It is nice to talk to you. In the page:" https://openoffice.apache.org/students.html" it says that I could volunteer for a certain number of hours (Do you need to volunteer a specific number of hours?), how will someone verify that?

Thank you,
Sandro Suzart

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 21/08/2018 Ravi Kant ha scritto:
> I can help in updating wikipedia pages.

Welcome Ravi,
it is bit hard to follow this discussion since this was originally
dedicated to onboarding of another volunteer (Sandro).

Still, could you please clarify (or maybe Peter can do it since he wrote
about "Wikipedia pages" first) whether you want to update pages of
https://wiki.openoffice.org/ or really https://en.wikipedia.org/ as you
wrote? Or something else?

You will need to request an account to the dev list only in the first
case. Otherwise, let's just clarify the task and we will direct you
appropriately.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Ravi Kant <rk...@gmail.com>.
Sir,

Re: Volunteer

Posted by Peter Kovacs <le...@posteo.de>.
Hi Sandro,

Re: Volunteer

Posted by sandro <sa...@hotmail.com>.
Dear,

Certainly it shall be an amazing experience to volunteer in Oppen Office, but I need a proof of the work, some document that testify the hours worked.

Thank you,
Sandro Suzart

________________________________
On 8/21/2018 11:08 AM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
On 8/19/2018 9:59 PM, sandro wrote:

[...]

Greetings Sandro and welcome to Apache OpenOffice. The first place to start is with the Orientation pages<http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/index.html>. If you are new to Open Source projects I strongly advice going through the Level 1 and Level 2 pages as they will give you a basic understanding of how Apache projects, and AOO in particular operate. After that read the level 3 Introduction to Documentation<https://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-doc.html>. Any questions you have can be asked at this mailing list.

Regards
Keith N. McKenna

Re: Volunteer

Posted by sandro <sa...@hotmail.com>.
Dear,

It is nice to talk to you. In the page:" https://openoffice.apache.org/students.html" it says that I could volunteer for a certain number of hours (Do you need to volunteer a specific number of hours?), how will someone verify that? What proof can I demonstrate to someone about the hours worked? Can I have any printed document?

Thank you,
Sandro Suzart

Re: Volunteer

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.