Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/08 10:14:34 UTC

Re: Eelco's wicket-contrib-navmenu revival? OR: Doing menus in Wicket...

Wicket in Action does discuss menus: see page 185 (index entry: menu),
though not multilevel menus.

Just take a look at YUI-menu or some jquery plugin for menus. The
reason for not continuing the menu component is that there are enough
alternatives available for rendering a menu. And most folks want their
own styling, and a typical menu is nothing more than a couple of
nested <ul>'s with css.

Martijn

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 10:24 AM,  <ra...@pixotec.de> wrote:
> under wicketstuff for 1.2 I found the little project "wicket-contrib-navmenu".
> I started to update it for Wicket 1.4-rc2.
>
> Does this make sense or is there a better way to create hierarchy-like menues? Eelco?
> I know there is a TabbedPanel component.
> But I somehow feel strange to implement my whole application's pages as Panels...
>
> So what is the best way to create the navigation for a big application
> having an upper tab-navigation and a corresponding hierarchical tree-navigation on the left...
>
> Wicket in Action did not address proper menu creation... ;-)

Apache Wicket 1.3.5 is released

Re: Eelco's wicket-contrib-navmenu revival? OR: Doing menus in Wicket...

Posted by Ralf Eichinger <ra...@pixotec.de>.

Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> Wicket in Action does discuss menus: see page 185 (index entry: menu),
> though not multilevel menus.

You are right, the easy way is described...

Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> Just take a look at YUI-menu or some jquery plugin for menus. The
> reason for not continuing the menu component is that there are enough
> alternatives available for rendering a menu. And most folks want their
> own styling, and a typical menu is nothing more than a couple of
> nested <ul>'s with css.

Yes, menus should be nothing else than ul/li/a-trees styled with CSS.
But when I have a foldable menu, clicking a page link which
results in a new page (without ajax...), how can I restore the last
menu state folding and deactivating the active page's link?
(without cookies)

So is it the best to use <wicket:link> for the links (which takes care about
deactivating the link to the actual page) thrown into a hierarchically
ul/li/a-tree? That would leave the question open, how to unfold the tree to
the level where the active link resides...