Posted to dev@sqoop.apache.org by "Xu, Qian A" <qi...@intel.com> on 2015/04/23 04:29:34 UTC

[VOTE] Release Sqoop version 1.4.6 (RC2)

Dear Sqoop Developers, Committers and PMC members,

This is the release candidate (RC2) for Apache Sqoop, version 1.4.6.

*** Please cast your vote by [3 working days after sending (Mon 27th April, 2015)] ***

The list of fixed issues:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=sqoop.git;a=blob;f=CHANGELOG.txt;h=e32c06093d1f9bf5a382cc35dc40c7117b41b501;hb=a74089dece04a483ce6510b62949e00e6f120705

The tarball (*.tar.gz), signature (*.asc), checksum (*.md5), and test result (log/*.ant_test.log):
http://people.apache.org/~gwenshap/sqoop-1.4.6-rc2/

The tag to be voted on:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=sqoop.git;a=commit;h=a74089dece04a483ce6510b62949e00e6f120705

The KEYS file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/sqoop/KEYS

Thanks for Gwen to be release mentor

Best regards
--Stanley (Qian) Xu

Re: [VOTE] Release Sqoop version 1.4.6 (RC2)

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
Thank you for working on the release Stanley, I do have two questions/comments:

* It seems that Sqoop is handling the LICENSE file differently for binary distribution - instead of shipping the one available in root of our repository, we’re copying special one from src/licenses/LICENSE-BIN.txt. It seems that it’s actually a code that I’ve myself committed in SQOOP-437. If I remember correctly there were contributors at that time that did not like the fact that LICENSE file contain reference to jars that we’re actually not shipping (and hence different LICENSE file for source and binary tarball). However that was few years back and we’re already doing that in Sqoop 2 without any troubles. Hence might I suggest to remove this extra LICENSE handling which will fix the fact that the binary artifact still do not contain list of all the jars?

* The new source tarball is called sqoop-1.4.6.source.tar.gz instaed of expected sqoop-1.4.6.tar.gz - I wasn’t able to track where this name change is coming from, could you help me out?

* Just an observation, the binary archive size has grown from  6.2MB to 16M which seems to be primarily caused by parquet/kite libraries that we’re shipping with Sqoop. That should be fine.

Jarcec