Posted to community@apache.org by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org> on 2002/10/25 23:21:30 UTC

Man, it's quiet here

Maybe I hadn't failed to subscribe after all.

I suppose there'd be a better draw if we had named it revolution@, or
cagematch@, or something. But that's just me being a tweaker. 8^)

I sure do hope it perks up around here, though. It would be a Bad Sign
if it didn't.

Chuck

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
"Andrew C. Oliver" wrote:

> >who, me?  heh.  everyone knows me; i'm the git with the big mouth. :-/
> >

> With that description (remember that negativity was supposed to be left
> on reorg@) they might confuse you for me ;-)

oh, all right..
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

RE: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by James Cox <ja...@imajes.info>.
> "Andrew C. Oliver" wrote:
> >
> > So why don't you go next...with the introductions...
>
> who, me?  heh.  everyone knows me; i'm the git with the big mouth. :-/

hmm, i thought you were just the nice old man, Ken :)

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
"Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> writes:

> 2. new box for 'doze heads called unstable.apache.org that runs WIN
> XP or something that they can log into and do for themselves

It'll be a cold day in hell.  ;-)
--

Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> This is a symptom of having certain constituency that fails the basic
> UNIX literacy test.  So ssh'ing to a UNIX box and creating a .forward
> file is difficult.
>
> solution:

Solution is that when a new person is voted for committership, they are
invited to include their forwarding-email to the admin if they want such a
thing to be done. When the account is setup, a .forward can be made by the
admin via whatever script they want to use.

The problem isn't that people don't know how to use it IMO, it's more that
they don't know it's there.

Or even just switch the system. Make the default that all new committers
have a .forward made and a note is made for those happy with a unix-style
command line so they can remove it.

I'm very comfortable on a command line but took agesto setup a .forward
because I didn't even realise I had a bayard@apache.org email address
running. Was only later I found a 400k mailbox when I logged onto
cvs.apache.org and realised.

Hen

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>indeed.  i have a more-than-sneaking suspicion that an awful lot
>of *@apache.org addresses don't reach their owners.  i think
>that's something that should be fixed, since it means they're
>not being notified of things sent to committers@, which by
>definition concern them..
>
>so by all means the various lists should be notified of this
>list's existence.. and all committers who want to subscribe
>requested to use their @apache.org address.  not only will
>that make it easier for the moderators to decide whether to
>approve subscriptions, but it should also help validate the
>@apache.org addresses.

This is a symptom of having certain constituency that fails the basic
UNIX literacy test.  So ssh'ing to a UNIX box and creating a .forward
file is difficult.

solution:
1. web based tool that does this - I can offer advice on how to pull
this off reasonably securely but cannot contribute code to this effort
due to lack of time.
2. new box for 'doze heads called unstable.apache.org that runs WIN XP
or something that they can log into and do for themselves

I suggest #1...  others have any ideas?

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> * On 2002-10-25 at 22:53,
>   Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de> excited the electrons to say:
>
>>Perhaps we should propose another posting on the different
>>developer-/committer-lists? It seems that Greg's and Stefano's postings
>>did not really reach all the committers out there ;-(
>

> indeed.  i have a more-than-sneaking suspicion that an awful lot
> of *@apache.org addresses don't reach their owners.  i think
> that's something that should be fixed, since it means they're
> not being notified of things sent to committers@, which by
> definition concern them..
>
> so by all means the various lists should be notified of this
> list's existence.. and all committers who want to subscribe
> requested to use their @apache.org address.  not only will
> that make it easier for the moderators to decide whether to
> approve subscriptions, but it should also help validate the
> @apache.org addresses.

I would like (and I plan) to have Stefano's initial posting on the
creation of the community@ list, posted another time on all the dev@,
docs@ and so on lists. I also plan to add a note that every receipient
should forward this message to any fellow-committers he knows of. This
should ensure that every single committer is informed and gets (only if
he wants) subscribed.

By adding another note about the .forward-issue, we could also reach the
poeple who are not aware of their @apache.org accounts and fix this
right away. Indeed an automated tool would help, but my time is limited.
So if anybody wants to help, please mail me and we can coordinate things.

All in all we should await the final result of the open/close-vote so
that we can rephrase Stefano's initial posting to the (possible) new
subscription-rules.

Any objections?

cheers,
erik

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
* On 2002-10-25 at 22:53,

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
go for it.

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
rbb@apache.org wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Erik Abele wrote:
>

>> From a moderators POV I can say, that mostly the people which are
>>subscribed to reorg@ have also joined community@.
>>
>>Perhaps we should propose another posting on the different
>>developer-/committer-lists? It seems that Greg's and Stefano's postings
>>did not really reach all the committers out there ;-(
>

> Or, most people just want to be left alone to write code.   :-)

hehe, yah, perhaps I simply missed that not everybody here has a deep
interest in the ASF itself...it's a pity that I can't realize this damn
fact.

> You should expect everybody in the ASF to want to spend time on this
> subject.  Personally, I have stopped reading most posts to reorg.  I can't
> read them and do my job.  I don't really plan to read every message to
> this list either.  I'm just here to lurk for a while.
>
> Ryan

I agree, the reorg list was quite busy and its really not that easy to
cope with this mass of mails :-)

but I really will ensure, that we will not have the same discussions as
on the reorg list, where everybody claimed, he was not informed
personally :-(

cheers,
erik

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>>> Or, most people just want to be left alone to write code.   :-)
>>

>> Amen :)
>

> <devils-advocate>
> And remain committers without wanting to becoming members; they just
> can't stand these time-consuming "politics".
> </devils-advocate>

why there are no politics in the sourceforge cvs repository ;-)
generally no community either... ;-)

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
On Saturday, October 26, 2002, at 04:32 AM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

>> Well, I for one am pretty amazed this thread forked back onto reorg@.
>

> yes...lets squash it with your introduction :-)

I hate writing about myself. I've been around Apache on and off since
March or April 1995. I built the first machine I had at home in 1976,
though I started coding in 1969.

I've had careers as a bass player, RF/microwave/video hardware engineer,
and now, software guy.

More (mostly accurate) about recent stuff can be gleaned by simply
Googling for "Chuck Murcko". Use the quotes to filter out my cousin
Mark, the drug designer.

I use this method often when learning about people I meet on the net. 8^)

Chuck

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 19:03, David Reid wrote:
> <devils-advocate>
> I do find it fascinating to note the active participants in this discussion
> now. They've changed dramatically from the start of this discussion and now
> seem to be heavily "Jakarta" oriented while the people who started this
> discussion have largely left as the volume has increased and the topics
> slewed away from the original intent... Guess that's those time consuming
> politics that committers want to avoid??? There seems to be a disconnect
> somewhere in the written word and actions
>
> </devils-advocate>

I would like to think that the people who started this discussion have assesed
the situation and begun to take action. Apache is not built on talkers but on
doers.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

><devils-advocate>
>I do find it fascinating to note the active participants in this discussion
>now. They've changed dramatically from the start of this discussion and now
>seem to be heavily "Jakarta" oriented while the people who started this
>discussion have largely left as the volume has increased and the topics
>slewed away from the original intent... Guess that's those time consuming
>politics that committers want to avoid??? There seems to be a disconnect
>somewhere in the written word and actions
>
></devils-advocate>

No.  The community proposal suggested shutting down the reorg list and
comming here without the baggage (hint hint) and being more positive and
actually trying to build a community amoung dissperate groups.   The
reorg list is slowing drawing to a close.

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
David Reid wrote:
>>On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Erik Abele wrote:
>>
>>> From a moderators POV I can say, that mostly the people which are
>>>subscribed to reorg@ have also joined community@.
>>>
>>>Perhaps we should propose another posting on the different
>>>developer-/committer-lists? It seems that Greg's and Stefano's postings
>>>did not really reach all the committers out there ;-(
>>
>>Or, most people just want to be left alone to write code.   :-)
>
> Amen :)

<devils-advocate>
And remain committers without wanting to becoming members; they just
can't stand these time-consuming "politics".
</devils-advocate>

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

> If true, this should induce a certain conservatism of approach in
> those who are driving the reorg aganda.  There's a silent majority out
> there who just getting on with the code.
>
> Peter

So now we're sampling Richard Nixon ;-)

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
David Reid wrote:
>>On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Erik Abele wrote:
>>

>>> From a moderators POV I can say, that mostly the people which are
>>>subscribed to reorg@ have also joined community@.
>>>
>>>Perhaps we should propose another posting on the different
>>>developer-/committer-lists? It seems that Greg's and Stefano's postings
>>>did not really reach all the committers out there ;-(
>>
>>Or, most people just want to be left alone to write code.   :-)
>

> Amen :)
>
> david

If true, this should induce a certain conservatism of approach in those
who are driving the reorg aganda.  There's a silent majority out there
who just getting on with the code.

Peter
--
Peter B. West  pbwest@powerup.com.au  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.

Posted by rb...@apache.org.
On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Erik Abele wrote:

>  From a moderators POV I can say, that mostly the people which are
> subscribed to reorg@ have also joined community@.
>
> Perhaps we should propose another posting on the different
> developer-/committer-lists? It seems that Greg's and Stefano's postings
> did not really reach all the committers out there ;-(

Or, most people just want to be left alone to write code.   :-)

You should expect everybody in the ASF to want to spend time on this
subject.  Personally, I have stopped reading most posts to reorg.  I can't
read them and do my job.  I don't really plan to read every message to
this list either.  I'm just here to lurk for a while.

Ryan

> erik
>
> Morgan Delagrange wrote:
> > More than a fifth of the committers already?  That's
> > pretty impressive.
> >
> > --- Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> wrote:

> >>subscribers....  Ken, are we

> >>124 subscribers at present.  as opposed to 127 on
> >>reorg@, and
> >>579 on committers@ total.
> >>--
> >>#ken	P-)}
> >>
> >>Ken Coar, Sanagendamgagwedweinini
> >>http://Golux.Com/coar/
> >>Author, developer, opinionist
> >>http://Apache-Server.Com/
> >>
> >>"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
 From a moderators POV I can say, that mostly the people which are

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
More than a fifth of the committers already?  That's
pretty impressive.

--- Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> wrote:
> "Andrew C. Oliver" wrote:
> >
> > No we settled down util we had more
> subscribers....  Ken, are we
> > subscribed up yet?
>
> 124 subscribers at present.  as opposed to 127 on
> reorg@, and
> 579 on committers@ total.
> --
> #ken	P-)}
>
> Ken Coar, Sanagendamgagwedweinini
> http://Golux.Com/coar/
> Author, developer, opinionist
> http://Apache-Server.Com/
>
> "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> community-help@apache.org

=====
Morgan Delagrange
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons
http://axion.tigris.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/watchdog

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

RE: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <mv...@apache.org>.
I gave up on the other lists.. I just couldn't get to programming anymore..
I stated my view on communities over here and I'll stick to that ;)
(called a "swami" perspective on communities", which I expected to get
things going here too ;)

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
not a web archive.  Just the nasty (no so)ezmlm interface.

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
So lets continue with the introductions.  I've already had some great
conversations from mine..  Lets hear it.

Re: Man, it's quiet here

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.

=====

Re: Man, it's quiet here