Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin Passey <kp...@kdpsoftware.co.uk> on 2002/12/09 14:25:14 UTC

Connection Pooling Help

Hi,

Can somebody point out my mistake for me - I'm starting to bang my head..

I am trying to get connection pooling working on my AS/400 using the
Commons-DBCP.

I have placed this JAR in <TOMCAT_HOME>/common/lib along with the JT400.JAR

I have added the context entries to my server.xml file - thus:-

<!-- AS400 Connection Pooling Test -->
            <Context path="/shilton" docBase="shilton" debug="5"
reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
               <Resource name="jdbc/shiltonDB" auth="Container"
type="javax.sql.DataSource" />

               <ResourceParams name="jdbc/shiltonDB">
                  <parameter>
                     <name>factory</name>

                  </parameter>

                  <parameter>
                     <name>maxActive</name>

                     <value>100</value>
                  </parameter>

                  <parameter>
                     <name>maxIdle</name>

                     <value>30000</value>
                  </parameter>

                  <parameter>
                     <name>maxWait</name>

                     <value>100</value>
                  </parameter>

                  <parameter>
                     <name>username</name>

                     <value>INTERNET</value>
                  </parameter>

                  <parameter>
                     <name>password</name>

                     <value>INTERNET</value>
                  </parameter>

                  <parameter>
                     <name>driverClassName</name>

                     <value>com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver</value>
                  </parameter>

                  <parameter>
                     <name>url</name>

                     <value>jdbc:as400://10.0.0.1</value>
                  </parameter>
               </ResourceParams>
            </Context>

I have added this to my WEB-INF web.xml file:-

<resource-ref>

        <description>

            Resource reference to a factory for java.sql.Connection

            instances that may be used for talking to a particular

            database that is configured in the server.xml file.

        </description>

        <res-ref-name>

            jdbc/shiltonDB

        </res-ref-name>

        <res-type>

            javax.sql.DataSource

        </res-type>

        <res-auth>

            Container

        </res-auth>

    </resource-ref>

And I have this java program to test the connection

import javax.naming.*;
import javax.sql.*;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet;
import javax.servlet.ServletOutputStream;
import java.sql.*;

public class DBCPServlet extends HttpServlet {

   public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req,
                     HttpServletResponse res) {

      try {
         ServletOutputStream out = res.getOutputStream();
         out.println("<html><body>");
         out.println("<h2>Using Tomcat Connection Pooling with DBCP</h2>");

         Context ctx = new InitialContext();
         if (ctx == null)
            out.println("Something is wrong with Tomcat");

         DataSource ds = (DataSource)
ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/shiltonDB");

         if (ds != null) {
            Connection conn = ds.getConnection();

            if (conn != null) {
               out.println("<b>Got Connection:</b> " + conn.toString() +
"<p>");
               String sql = "select * from BSSTYL";
               ResultSet rst = stmt.executeQuery(sql);
               if (rst.next()) {
                  out.println("<b>Value of HDCUST on first record:</b> "+
                  	rst.getString("dbfield1")+ "<p>");
               }
               out.println("This was our little database-access
servlet...");
               conn.close();
            }
         }
      } catch (Exception e) {
         e.printStackTrace();
      }
   }

   /**
    * if somebody does a http-post, we do an interal dispatch to doGet()
    */
   public void doPost(HttpServletRequest req,
                      HttpServletResponse res) {
      doGet(req, res);
   }
}