Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2016/02/10 21:46:50 UTC

Apache Build Server Jobs

Hi,

after a request to INFRA they have installed Jenkins Job DSL Plugin very
quickly (Thanks to Andrew Bayer) where i will start some experiments to
improve our CI jobs and make them reproducible which means they are
being checked into version control.. furthermore i would like to improve
our CI support...in particular having different jobs for every plugin
(some other things i have in mind)...but i don't like to do this via
UI..so i will do this via jenkins job dsl...

So i have started very small part here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/jenkins-seeding (not much in
there at the moment) but this will be improved over the next weeks....

I'm preparing this via Docker images locally on my machine and do some
tests locally before moving this to Apache Build Server ...

So be prepared to see jobs which start with the prefix "jobdsl-*" in the
Maven area...Those jobs are only my experiments and are at the moment
not valid...until i say different...

All other jobs are left untouched....

Those jobs ("jobdsl-*") are in the first step only experiments to see if
i have found everything which is needed (Configuration etc.)...

If this is finished we can migrate to the full version controled part
and move away from UI configured jobs...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Apache Build Server Jobs

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
I don't know Jenkins Job DSL Plugin or other ways of improving our CI
configuration

but I like the idea of managing everything through code in version control

I'm eager to see the result (and learn how it is done :) )

Regards,

Hervé

Re: Apache Build Server Jobs

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Oh I wasn't saying opposition to what Karl is doing... more just saying
that the ultimate way I want us to go is using multibranch with
literate/pipeline (literate for the simple stuff, such as plugins, where
the README.md can be

# The Maven XYZ Plugin
> ## Build instructions
> ```
> mvn clean verify -P+run-its
> ```
> ## Environments
> The CI server will automatically build on the following matrix of build
> environments
> * `maven-3.0.5`
>   * `linux`
>     * `java-1.7`
>     * `java-1.8`
>   * `windows`
>     * `java-1.7`
>     * `java-1.8`
> ## How to release
> ```
> mvn release:prepare release:peform
> ```

Then pipeline for the more complex things such as Core where we need to
also checkout and run the integration tests

Re: Apache Build Server Jobs

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <ml...@batmat.net>.

Re: Apache Build Server Jobs

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after a request to INFRA they have installed Jenkins Job DSL Plugin very
> quickly (Thanks to Andrew Bayer) where i will start some experiments to
> improve our CI jobs and make them reproducible which means they are being
> checked into version control.. furthermore i would like to improve our CI
> support...in particular having different jobs for every plugin (some other
> things i have in mind)...but i don't like to do this via UI..so i will do
> this via jenkins job dsl...
>
> So i have started very small part here:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/jenkins-seeding (not much in there
> at the moment) but this will be improved over the next weeks....
>
> I'm preparing this via Docker images locally on my machine and do some
> tests locally before moving this to Apache Build Server ...
>
> So be prepared to see jobs which start with the prefix "jobdsl-*" in the
> Maven area...Those jobs are only my experiments and are at the moment not
> valid...until i say different...
>
> All other jobs are left untouched....
>
> Those jobs ("jobdsl-*") are in the first step only experiments to see if i
> have found everything which is needed (Configuration etc.)...
>
> If this is finished we can migrate to the full version controled part and
> move away from UI configured jobs...
>

> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Sent from my phone