Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Nachum, Sagi" <Sa...@verint.com> on 2005/12/28 10:03:20 UTC

tomcat-users.xml file corruption

I have been running tomcat
<http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1169838&page=1##>  on
windows 2003
<http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1169838&page=1##>  with no
problems until the computer
<http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1169838&page=1##>  was
unexpectdly shut down (power cut).

When I restarted the computer and tried to run tomcat again it wouldn't
work.

I saw the following exception in the catalina_log:

2005-12-27 14:02:10 UserDatabaseRealm[Standalone]: Exception looking up
UserDatabase under key UserDatabase

javax.naming.NamingException: Content is not allowed in prolog.

            at
org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:797)

            at
org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:147)

            at
org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm.start(UserDatabaseRealm.java
:250)

            at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1126)

            at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:316)

            at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)

            at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2143)

            at
org.apache.catalina.startup.CatalinaService.start(CatalinaService.java:2
22)

            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)

            at
a:39)

            at
Impl.java:25)

            at
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.start(BootstrapService.java
:198)

            at
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService.main(BootstrapService.java:
260)

After inquiring a little I discovered that the tomcat-users.xml file
located at conf directory is empty.
After I replaced this file with a valid one, the problem was solved. I
saw some more messages in this and other forums that regard this
problem.
And here's my question:

I don't want to need to replace this file every time the computer
crashes unexpectedly, how can I prevent this file from being corrupted?

10x,
Sagi

This electronic message contains information from Verint Systems, which may be privileged and confidential.
The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s)or entity named above.
If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.
If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by replying to this email (1).

Re: tomcat-users.xml file corruption

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
Nachum, Sagi wrote:
> After inquiring a little I discovered that the tomcat-users.xml file
> located at conf directory is empty.
> After I replaced this file with a valid one, the problem was solved. I
> saw some more messages in this and other forums that regard this
> problem.
> And here's my question:
>
> I don't want to need to replace this file every time the computer
> crashes unexpectedly, how can I prevent this file from being corrupted?

You can prevent a recent Tomcat 5.5 from writing tomcat-users.xml by setting
readonly="true"
on the Resource element in server.xml where the UserDatabase is defined.

But if you can't prevent your machine from unexpectedly shutting down, wether
or not tomcat-users.xml get destroyed might be your smallest problem.

Regards
  mks